Private tours vs. NCL Excursions --Pros & Cons?

YogiMia

Hi,

My family and I will be first time cruisers on 4/2/06. Wondering what the pros and cons might be for booking private tours vs. using NCL's excursions?

From reading other boards it seems that private tours might offer a better experience (e.g., less crowds, more personal attention, etc.), but my TA warned me against them saying they might not get me back to the ship on-time and Jewel could leave without crew having any idea we weren't there. How likely is that to happen? Also, is it even too late to book w/ a private operator given we are sailing in less than a month? BTW -- ships ports of call are Roatan, Grand Caymen, & Ocho Rios.

Hi,

TA warned me against them saying they might not get me back to the ship on-time and Jewel could leave without crew having any idea we weren't there. How likely is that to happen? .

I've asked a couple times on various boards if anyone had ever been late from an excursion and have never had anyone say they had. The only replies that indicated a possible problem were people saying they saw someone running to get to the ship on time, but who knows if those were due to late running excursions or just not paying attention to time as they shop/drank, etc.

In Grand Caymen we went to StingRay city with a private operator and our skipper got a call from another boat that they had broken down and needed help. We went to them and picked up their passengers. The tour operators do seem to be willing (at least sometimes) to help each other out. Let's face it, if someone got the publicity that they were stranding customers, they probably wouldn't be in business long.

jmo

-Monte

Thanks for the help. I felt that the TA was being a little alarmist. I figured an established operator would very well be aware of the docking and embarking times of the ships. Recommend anyone in particular? I have 2 kids, ages 6 and 8 and really wanted to try the "dolphin encounter" and river tubing.

Check out the ports of call board for additional recommendations but in Roatan I used Victor Bodden who I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I have an eight yeard old and in 2004 when he was 6 1/2 we went on an island tour with Victor. Our stops included canopy tour, iguana farm, glass bottom boat, lunch and shopping. It was my son's favorite port.

If you do your due diligence on these boards you can find some great independent tour operators. The independents rely on providing good service and getting people back to the ship on time because their reputuation is essential for them to get repeat business.

Hi guys. If you want to discuss private tour operators, please do that on the ports of call boards for each port. This board is for NCL topics. Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience.

Ooops! Sorry Cecilia. I am a newbie to these boards and still trying to get the hang of things.
No worries! I want you to get the best information and keep the boards focused. Cruise Critic is a HUGE site with dozens of boards. You'd be surprised at how specific they are and what great information other members have to share. Here's a link to the ports of call section. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=5

Archived