How to play pickleball?

zhuangcorp

I believe pickleball is played on the basketball court, but how do you get setup to play?

Where do you get the ball, rackets, and net? 

Can you play anytime or is there specified time?

Won't there be confusion if some people are trying to play basketball and others are trying to play pickleball?

On Zaandam, pickelball is played on the tennis court. The net remains in place on the court. I never saw anyone playing tennis, but there were several of us playing pickelball at various times during the cruise. The basketball court is on the other (starboard) side of this ship. 

Pickelball paddles and balls (as well as equipment for shuffleboard) are kept in a storage chest  located at the court. It's self service; just return the equipment to the storage chest after finishing play. Aside from having someone to play against, lighting and weather conditions will be the primary factors dictating when you can play. Although there is some lighting on Deck 9, there is no specific court lighting. When it's dark outside, visibility will be a challenge... 

• Thanks 1

We were very fortunate to have met a fellow cruiser on Zaandam who was a pickleball player. He is also a tennis coach and was very willing to teach us how to play pickleball. I -- and many of the others who ended up playing together -- had never played pickleball before the cruise. All of us had a lot of fun playing and he deserves so much credit for getting everyone involved and interested in the game. 

As oaktreerb noted above, check the daily activities, both printed and HAL Navigator app. I just looked at The Daily Program from our early October 2022 cruise. Except for embarkation and debarkation days, pickleball was a scheduled daily activity, as follows:  

Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 6, Day 7, Day 8, Day 9 -- "A Pickup Game of Pickleball", 9am at the Sports Court, 9.

Day 5, "A Pickup Game of Pickleball", 8:30am at the Sports Court, 9.

I don't recall attending any of the above sessions, so I can't say how many people attended. 9am was too early or a port day. I was playing shuffleboard when I saw people playing pickleball and decided to watch. After a few games involving players who were already waiting to play, I was asked if I wanted to play. The rest is history, lol. So, even if you don't have someone to play against at the start of the cruise, keep visiting the court at various times; eventually you'll find some people playing.