Thermal Suite vs Vibe

lt0826

Oops - someone just started basically this same thread. sorry for the duplicate as I can't seem to delete. 

I've done the thermal suites before and love them and I have never done Vibe. If you only have budget to do one or the other, which would you do and why? I

Edited by lt0826

@lt0826 & @Frogger22 you may have already gotten your responses from the other thread that you mentioned or a quick search but the choice between Thermal Vs. Vibe has a ton of factors that go into it. enough to make your head spin if you are someone that really needs to evaluate decisions before making them LOL (Like me.) I tend to sway towards evaluating if Vibe is worth it because out of the two, that is the one I prefer if I need to make a choice. And then I have the Thermal spa as a back-up

• First I look at the itinerary. if I am cruising in cold weather, then Vibe is pretty much out. While nice to have the private bar and ability to get to know a group of people over your cruise that doesn't change, the extra charge isn't really worth it in my opinion. The "hot" tubs are more like "warm" tubs (at least on the three times I have had vibe) so its not like being at home where you can hop into 102 degree bubbles with the chilly air and enjoy the temperature difference.
  • Next I look at the departing port. Because even if I am cruising to warm weather, if I am starting in NYC or Boston in the winter, I loose the first two and last two days of Vibe use because of cold weather.
  • Third I look at the number of Port days and where we will be stopping. I enjoy a good port day especially if it is a new location. but I tend to pick cruises based off of date, specific room availability, and ship. To me, the actual itinerary is secondary, because I treat the ship as a floating resort hotel and can find enough to do onboard to keep me busy. If the ports are not that interesting to me, than it does not factor in, but if I know I will be spending a lot more time in port, I will evaluate Vibe (or the spa's) worth. That said even if you do go ashore, it is still so nice to be able to either go back to vibe for a relaxing cocktail before dinner, or unwind at the spa for 45 minutes to relax after a busy day of tours and sightseeing.
  • The last thing I look at is the ability to upgrade to a Spa category room. If you are before final payment, this can be done as a cxl/rebook. If you are after final payment, you "should" be able to pay to upgrade to the room and may be able to do so for cheaper than buying the spa pass. Going about the upgrade this way allows you to still pick your own room to ensure you are where you prefer to be located. You run the risk of possibly loosing promos if they have changed since you booked, but you do get the extra perks of booking a suite including the extra Lat points. The promos that you could loose could be things like the number of dinners from the FAS, Dbl Lat points, and airfare promo. Alternatively you can bid to upgrade once you start receiving notifications. This method can be cheaper, but could be more expensive so it is important to price shop. You get to keep your booking promos, but you do not get the extra suite booking promos if you bid up that far. You are also unable to pick your physical room assignment which for many is a deal breaker. Ive bid to upgrade if it is for a category that does not have many locations such as Aft penthouse, but stay away from rooms that are spread across the ship like the Spa Club Balc Suite. there are too many ways that room location could go wrong for me.

The last thing to consider is really personal preference. I LOVE Vibe because it offers a private experience to relax and enjoy yourself without fighting for a lounger or in a bar line. I also like that it is pretty much the same bartenders and staff so you get to know each other and they start to remember your preferences. I also really like that it is the same guests for the most part and if you are traveling with a good vibe crowd you have the opportunity to make some great friends to enjoy your cruise with. The group we formed in Vibe on my sailing to Bermuda on the Joy in June was such a blast that there a bunch of us who specifically booked "reunion" cruise in December so we could see each other again.

As I said in the beginning, I didn't spend that much time talking about the Spa, because I treat it as more of a backup. If I don't see getting much value out of Vibe I will ABSOLUTLY book the spa to get some piece a quiet where I can relax, unwind and zone out. They are two completely different experiences so it isnt really fare to try and compare or contrast them, but this is the method I use to evaluate which one I want on a specific sailing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frogger22 said:

Thank you NH Cruiser - lots of thoughtful information and much appreciated. I am excited to try the Vibe for first time! 

Yes - excellent response, though I will add one more. If you are on a cruise with lots of children (e.g. holidays, school breaks), the Vibe is a nice alternative to the pool deck which can be loud and crowded (which is perfectly fine for many). I also notice that NCL does not enforce the "no kids in the hot tub" rule (including those in swim diapers) which is a non-issue in the Vibe.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2022 at 1:18 PM, Frogger22 said:

Thank you NH Cruiser - lots of thoughtful information and much appreciated. I am excited to try the Vibe for first time! 

My pleasure. Thanks for reading my very long winded response to what looks like a simple question. Now that you have made the decision make sure you pre-purchase the passes. Now that you do not have to struggle to be one of the first ones on the ship, they are selling out quickly on a lot of cruises, based on comments that I have seen in the forum. If you are not familiar it will be in the activities section on your cruise page, or you can contact NCL to have it added.