Cabin under public area/Rotterdam

Dancing Shoes

We were in 1113, haven’t heard much noise if any from above. It is a connecting room which we heard some things from our neighbor but not enough to be annoying. We were on a B2B and the first leg we were in 1119 only a few rooms down from 1113 and we preferred that room as it is not a connecting room. We prefer midship starboard side to limit the noise. I believe the shops are above and we didn’t hear a thing and was on ship for over two weeks on main deck 1. 

Edited by cwd79

Our basic rule is to look on the deck plan to see what is over, under (crew deck is usually fine), and around the cabin.  Being under a public room/lounge can be OK (or not) depending on what public space.  If it is a space that is going to be used late at night or early in the morning it is usually best to get a different cabin location.

Hank

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Our basic rule is to look on the deck plan to see what is over, under (crew deck is usually fine), and around the cabin.  Being under a public room/lounge can be OK (or not) depending on what public space.  If it is a space that is going to be used late at night or early in the morning it is usually best to get a different cabin location.

Hank

That is what we did, we specifically picked 1119 as it was under the shops and we didn't hear a thing for 11 days. We had to move to another cabin on the following cruise so we picked 1113 as only a few doors down and never heard anything above us as again the shops were above us. Midship specifically on the starboard side seemed like a much safer choice then port side when looking at what's above. 

3 minutes ago, cwd79 said:

That is what we did, we specifically picked 1119 as it was under the shops and we didn't hear a thing for 11 days. We had to move to another cabin on the following cruise so we picked 1113 as only a few doors down and never heard anything above us as again the shops were above us. Midship specifically on the starboard side seemed like a much safer choice then port side when looking at what's above. 

Sometimes, the best laid plans 🙂   On one our Prinsendam cruises we carefully chose an outside cabin that was directly above the empty area adjacent to one of the ship's Exit/Entry areas.  Early in our long cruise, very late at night, DW nudged me and said "do you hear ping pong?"  I thought she was crazy but when I listened carefully I could hear what sounded like a ping pong ball being moving back and forth.  I thought we were both nutz.  The next night we had the same problem but could also hear lots of laughter.  So I took a post mid-night stroll to Guest Relations who promised they would investigate.  The following day we received a phone call and it was explained that the crew had a portable ping pong table that they set up in that empty area (below our cabin) where they played ping pong much of the night.  Arrangements were made to move that ping pong table and we never heard another sound.

Hank

Thanks.  I was looking at the cabin that was under the shops.  Perfect.  I like to be mid-ship and on a lower deck for motion.  That ping pong would be a deal breaker for me.  My husband, he doesn't care.  Sleeps like a bear hibernating. Unfortunately, on the Rotterdam, as far as I could tell, there were only 2 Oceanview cabins on another deck.  Don't really want to book a veranda.  The trip is breaking my vacation budget. Looking at Norwegian Fjords.  

I stayed in 1039 on Rotterdam in October.  You can definitely hear the Rolling Stone Rock Room band when they were playing. Fortunately, I am not an early to bed guy, and their sets were over by 11 or 11:30 at the latest (plus, was a westbound transatlantic, so lots of days with an extra hour at night to catch up on sleep).  The room was great in all other respects (and noise really not an issue for me), but beware of this area if it is a problem for you.

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest