Gijon - Any Info Welcome!

We stop in Gijon.  Anyone have any suggestions on what to do there?  I'm pretty adventuresome and love just exploring.  I'm not into museums or beaches.  I'm thinking of renting a car and driving around to see some lighthouses like Cabo de Torres.  But I'd love to hear about other choices, especially any with great options for photography or architecture.  I don't know a thing about Leon, Aviles, Oviedo, or the part of Gijon called Cimavilla.  Is Santillana within reach of Gijon?  Worthwhile?   We're in port rather unusual hours - noon to 10 PM.  Are there any places recommended for a nice dinner, though it would have to be before 8:00, which may be impossible in Spain)?  How about something to photograph for sunset?  

Also, the port looks to be a little way from center city, if there is such a thing in Gijon.  Does anyone know if a shuttle is available from the port?  Taxis? Public transportation?  And how can I get to the huge concrete art installation I've seen pictures of?

Any and all info would be appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Thank for that church/temple Deano.  It sounds right up my alley, and does make me want to hire a car. And yes, I think you're definitely on my cruise.  I've been researching a lot, but still have a lot to do.  Have you joined the Cruise Critic Roll Call for your (our?) cruise?  It can be found under the "Boards" under Roll Call section. It's not highly active, but there are other people besides me signed up.  A couple people are looking for others to join tours. 

My disappointments so far (although few!) are that the "Mirroir" (pictured) in Bordeaux doesn't operate until we're gone, and that our Biarritz stop is on a national holiday - no car rental places open, and other things might be closed. And someone indicated the port (St Jean de Luz) is sometimes missed.  Of course missed ports DO occur.  My last cruise, however, had none in 12 days, so I was very happy.

We were in Perth pre-Covid start.  Met those furry friends on Rottnest!  Here's Mirroir....when operating is empty, then mist and water, then reflection.  Steve Rhodes, a Viking passenger, took the shot.

bord mirroir by steve rhodes on V.jpg

21 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thank for that church/temple Deano.  It sounds right up my alley, and does make me want to hire a car. And yes, I think you're definitely on my cruise.  I've been researching a lot, but still have a lot to do.  Have you joined the Cruise Critic Roll Call for your (our?) cruise?  It can be found under the "Boards" under Roll Call section. It's not highly active, but there are other people besides me signed up.  A couple people are looking for others to join tours. 

My disappointments so far (although few!) are that the "Mirroir" (pictured) in Bordeaux doesn't operate until we're gone, and that our Biarritz stop is on a national holiday - no car rental places open, and other things might be closed. And someone indicated the port (St Jean de Luz) is sometimes missed.  Of course missed ports DO occur.  My last cruise, however, had none in 12 days, so I was very happy.

We were in Perth pre-Covid start.  Met those furry friends on Rottnest!  Here's Mirroir....when operating is empty, then mist and water, then reflection.  Steve Rhodes, a Viking passenger, took the shot.

bord mirroir by steve rhodes on V.jpg

Yes I’ve signed up to the Roll Call but as you say, there is very little posted on it. I fear I’ve done less research than you but will start getting serious soon. If I find anything that may be of interest I’ll share it on the Roll Call.