Any recent experience with swapping keys/cabins?

doconner

I recently booked a cruise at the future cruise desk on an MSC ship.  Booked 2 cabins for my partner, myself, and two friends. 

My partner and I are now Diamond status members, and the agent at the future cruise desk said,  "I'll book you and your partner in different cabins, so that your Diamond benefits will apply to both cabins.  You'll just need to go to Guest Services when you board and ask them to swap your key cards."

Current booking is:
Cabin 1:  Me (diamond), Friend 1 (no status)
Cabin 2; My Partner (diamond), Friend 2 (no status)

We need it to end up with:
Cabin 1: Me, and my partner
Cabin 2;  Friend 1 and Friend 2

I've never done this before, and she made it seem quite common and straight forward.  However, a few older posts on this board have hinted at the fact that it might be problematic and guest services may be reluctant to do it.

Does anyone have any recent experience with trying to swap rooms?  Does the fact that 2 of us are Diamond status help or hurt?

Thanks

In my experience it's not possible (or much more difficult) to switch around the registered occupants of each cabin, but it's pretty easy to ask for an extra keycard for each room. So the person who is booked in the "wrong" cabin uses the extra key to get into the room with their actual partner, and continues to use their cruise card for everything else. Just keep in mind that onboard charges will still go to their original cabin, so you'll have to review everything and sort things out with your friends at the end of the cruise.

Also, this means that people have access to both cabins throughout the cruise, so some level of trust is required.

Edited by hawkeyetlse
  • Like 1

I wasn't aware it was possible to get extra keys.  If that is possible, then I think it's the preferred route.  Trust with having access to the various cabins is a non-issue with this group of friends.

Having extra keys made instead of officially swapping cabins moots a few other questions that I was going to have about the diamond benefits.  Currently as booked, with both diamonds in different cabins all 4 of us are entitled to a meal at the speciality dining restaurant, I didn't know if that would still be the case after we swapped around passengers.   

How common is it that they issue extra keys, is that really straight forward and 'standard' for them to do?  Do we need to justify it somehow?   One is an inside and one is a balcony, could I just say, "We want to share our balcony access during the day with the other cabin?" without raising any concerns?

Thanks,

I’m also really hoping that getting extra keys is fine. We have 2 rooms booked, my husband and I have 4 kids, but the oldest one is only 20 so I had to put one room under each parent name lol. What I want is for my 3 boys (20,18,16) to share one room….

On our Seashore trip in June, We were in the Yacht Club and tried to get an extra key card for our room and our friends room since it was booked this way and we were told flat out no we will not do that.  We explained that both rooms agreed to this and they still said we will not do that.  

Edited by GPPhilly

On 11/27/2022 at 8:10 AM, doconner said:

I wasn't aware it was possible to get extra keys.  If that is possible, then I think it's the preferred route.  Trust with having access to the various cabins is a non-issue with this group of friends.

Having extra keys made instead of officially swapping cabins moots a few other questions that I was going to have about the diamond benefits.  Currently as booked, with both diamonds in different cabins all 4 of us are entitled to a meal at the speciality dining restaurant, I didn't know if that would still be the case after we swapped around passengers.   

How common is it that they issue extra keys, is that really straight forward and 'standard' for them to do?  Do we need to justify it somehow?   One is an inside and one is a balcony, could I just say, "We want to share our balcony access during the day with the other cabin?" without raising any concerns?

Thanks,

This sounds like a headache waiting to happen for the sake of 2 specialty meals and one bottle of prosecco.  You can't officially change passengers once onboard and they likely will not make extra "blank" keys since a key has to be associated with a guest.

I, personally, would not risk it and the MSC rep with whom  you spoke was speaking out of turn.

• Like 1

Sounds like MSC is less accommodating than other cruise lines on this issue. But if OP is good enough friends with the other couple and plan to be spending most of their time together anyway, in the worst case two of them can switch keycards while on board.

50 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Sounds like MSC is less accommodating than other cruise lines on this issue. But if OP is good enough friends with the other couple and plan to be spending most of their time together anyway, in the worst case two of them can switch keycards while on board.

You can't switch keycards- your imagine (photo) is on them.  You would literally have to arrange what time to meet the other folks at their door; otherwise you couldn't get a drink at a bar as your image wouldn't match.

Two men or two women who look vaguely similar enough would have no problem on board. I don't remember if the photo pops up on the bar staff's tablets when they scan your card. Unless they're drinking alone at a bar (nothing wrong with that!) someone else with the correct card can order the drinks. And once they get to know some of the bar staff it will be fine.

I agree that it's not an ideal solution, but for an easy-going group of friends it would work.