Passport/Credit Card Info Input into App vs Check In at Cruise Terminal

Desertliving

We put as little information "out there" as possible.  Want to wait till we check in at Cruise Terminal, before boarding, to supply our credit card and passports, like in the past.  Just our personal preference.  Can someone confirm for me that is still allowed?  

4 minutes ago, Desertliving said:

We put as little information "out there" as possible.  Want to wait till we check in at Cruise Terminal, before boarding, to supply our credit card and passports, like in the past.  Just our personal preference.  Can someone confirm for me that is still allowed?  

Since they check all the information at check in, it should not be an issue. However, once it is input into the computer, Princess has it stored on their servers. Your on board charges go directly to the credit card company. The passport info is needed for immigration.

I don’t believe Princess nor Carnival Corporation actually ever see nor retain the payment card number.   The app and the POS terminals at check-in both use processor-side tokenization to keep the footprint exposed to card data as minimal as possible.   In the case of the app, the card number storage method would call the processor or payment gateway directly, rather than sending the data to an intermediary server.  What comes back to the app and the shipboard systems is a reference to the stored token, and that token is both unrecognizable as a card number and irrevocably bound to the merchant.  

I have no idea how they handle the identity data but my assumption is it’s not nearly as well protected as the payment card data because the manifests are human-readable (the CBP submission process is not particularly modern). 

I do believe you’ll get automated phone calls with dire warnings if you’re not “Ocean Ready” with at least the immigration information, starting a few days before sailing. 

Edited by VibeGuy