Athens - Torn between two hotels. Any help?

CanuckCruizer

Been to Athens before, only off a ship a couple of times - have never stayed there. Trying to decide between Electra Metropolis & Electra Palace (money is about the same, so not worried about that). We would be staying for 5 nights, in between 2 cruises.

We are big view people and also like a nice upscale hotel. Have read lots of reviews on many different sites - both have many bad reviews and also glowing reviews - hard to know which ones to believe. Keep reading that at the Palace - you sometimes don't get the Acropolis view you paid for, but they have great staff. Thin walls - very noisy. Bigger pool than Metropolis. Good location - in the Plaka etc. Old hotel, but apparently renovated in 2018. Reviews, however, after that period, say outdated, worn out carpets etc.

Metropolis is newer (reopened as new hotel in 2016) but reviews say it also needs updating. It has many reviews commenting on the not so friendly staff & bad management. Location is not in the Plaka but near Syntagma Square. Smaller pool. Thinking the view is better from Metropolis roof top vs. the Palace.

Have seen all the sites before - loved shopping in the Plaka and Monastiraki area. Want to be able to walk out to nice restaurants for dinner from the hotel and be in a safe area. Looks like we could be close to restaurants at the Palace, but how safe is it to walk around at night? Metropolis seems to be maybe further away from restaurants for dinner?

We also looked at Athens Gate but it is booked for the time we need.

Has anyone stayed at these hotels and can offer an opinion?  We have eaten at the Grand Bretagne and loved the view but, unfortunately, it is way out of our budget for next year to stay there.  Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks very much,

Canuck

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 5:13 PM, CanuckCruizer said:

Hera is sold out for our dates.

Anyone have any recommendations or feedback on either of these hotels or areas?

Thanks,

Canuck

I asked my husband's family about Electra Metropolis.  They were not familiar with that hotel so couldnt get you any info on that one, sorry. 

Edited by gbits

19 hours ago, gbits said:

I asked my husband's family about Electra Metropolis.  They were not familiar with that hotel so couldnt get you any info on that one, sorry. 

gbits - thank you for asking - I appreciate it.  We are now booked at Electra Palace, where they stayed, so looking forward to that.

Thanks again!

Canuck