Anyone on Jupiter in Buenos Aires?

wine-wine-wine

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

In case you haven’t checked, these pre-cruise requirements were updated Nov. 21:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-PreCruiseRequirement-All-US_CAN_UK_AU_NZ.pdf

Yes indeed, have been following like a hawk, thanks! Just curious about the actual boots on the ground implementation. 😎

We got off Jupiter yesterday morning after the crossing from Barcelona. We were required to do spit tests each of the 21 days even though none of the countries we visited required testing of vaccinated cruise ship passengers. 

1 hour ago, Symmes99 said:

We got off Jupiter yesterday morning after the crossing from Barcelona. We were required to do spit tests each of the 21 days even though none of the countries we visited required testing of vaccinated cruise ship passengers. 

Yet Viking continues to blame those countries for,the testing. Every time I speak with someone at Viking they tell me they are not the ones requiring the testing 🙄

It is almost impossible to learn what a country requires for cruise ships.  Looking on the Internet is futile.  As many of the retired Mariners have stated, requirements for entry by sea especially cruise ships are often much more strict then any other conveyance and most often stricter then national standard.

Yesterday I saw a post in the South America forum where passengers boarding a MSC cruise in Rio ship found out that they had to have a negative Covid test (and not a rapid antigen) taken within a 24 hours of boarding the ship NOT before their flight. They were wondering where the heck they were going to get the testing done in Rio for their family of 4.

We should thank our lucky stars that Viking will provide the Covid testing at no cost to us if required.  Why are they doing DAILY testing on their way to these countries?  My guess is they don't want to arrive in these ports with a plague ship.  Who knows what percent of positive cases are allowed by these countries and when they may change their rules.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Symmes99 said:

Thanks for the details! What was embarkation like?

Embarkation was simple. Show docs at terminal then board straight away. No pre-cruise testing required. Wasn’t until we got to cabin and saw the spit tubes that we realized testing onboard was being done. The Travel Requirements on MVJ indicated that we’d be notified not email before the cruise if testing would be required. But never got an email. I spoke with the General Manager onboard and showed him the pre-cruise info on MVJ. He was surprised and unaware that shoreside operations were saying that no testing would be required. His marching orders were to test everyone every day.  

• Thanks 1

We are currently on Jupiter Dec.1-18 BA to Santiago.  No testing was required to board.  Had to show vax card, which was carefully noted.  They are doing mandatory spit test daily for the entire cruise.  One person on our cruise (and husband) have posted on FB Viking and on our roll call that they have covid and are isolating.  I don't know of any others, but don't imagine i would.  Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.  *beautiful weather so far!!    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kawh said:

We are currently on Jupiter Dec.1-18 BA to Santiago.  No testing was required to board.  Had to show vax card, which was carefully noted.  They are doing mandatory spit test daily for the entire cruise.  One person on our cruise (and husband) have posted on FB Viking and on our roll call that they have covid and are isolating.  I don't know of any others, but don't imagine i would.  Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.  *beautiful weather so far!!    

Thank you so much! Very comforting just to know what is up.  

Please just enjoy your cruise - but if there are any big do’s and dont’s on shore excursions, dining, etc it would be wonderful!!

On 12/4/2022 at 4:47 PM, kawh said:

Thanks so much for the update on covid testing.  Are passengers wearing any masks?  We are on Jupiter 12/18 & plan to mask up on buses & elevators & any other "crowd" events.

1 hour ago, lisamarkj said:

Thanks so much for the update on covid testing.  Are passengers wearing any masks?  We are on Jupiter 12/18 & plan to mask up on buses & elevators & any other "crowd" events.

we are masking as you plan to mask...  and rarely see any other passengers masking.  maybe one other couple per bus and almost never on the ship.  the staff, however, is 100% masked, which makes eating in the restaurants much more comfortable. 

• Like 1

Please post what happens when you arrive in Chile and if there are any passengers who test positive for Covid what the current protocol is for them?  I'm wondering if they are removed from the ship or allowed to quarantine on board? In the midst of Covid they were removed from the ship by Chilean authority and put in government run youth hostels with deplorable conditions. We are also going to Valparaiso and are concerned about being removed from the ship. Thanks!

57 minutes ago, Insanityx4 said:

Please post what happens when you arrive in Chile and if there are any passengers who test positive for Covid what the current protocol is for them?  I'm wondering if they are removed from the ship or allowed to quarantine on board? In the midst of Covid they were removed from the ship by Chilean authority and put in government run youth hostels with deplorable conditions. We are also going to Valparaiso and are concerned about being removed from the ship. Thanks!

If you go to the Dec 1st roll call for Jupiter, there is a member posting live that tested positive. You are not removed from the ship, only a 5 day quarantine In your own cabin. 

She and her husband, who both tested positive a day apart, were in BA Argentina when she posted, not Chile. To my knowledge, Argentina never took passengers off of the ship during Covid and Viking quarantined them for 10 days/deck 3 forward port side. I believe this was the protocol in every country except Chile in South America. Most of the other SA countries just wouldn't let the ship dock in their ports. Obviously rules have changed since 2020 and 2021, but I'm just trying to get the latest update on Chile. The Jupiter docks there tomorrow, Dec. 12.

Edited by Insanityx4