Just of the Mariner-Cruising with Kids

We will be sailing with our 7 and 9 year old on the Mariner on Dec. 10. Just got off the Enchantment, and was dissappointed that Adventure Ocean did a lot of the same activities as last year, although our kids didn't spend quite as much time there this trip.

If you have been on other RCCL ships in the last few years, I'd be interested in any info on the types of activities Adv. Ocean had planned.

We will be sailing with our 7 and 9 year old on the Mariner on Dec. 10. Just got off the Enchantment, and was dissappointed that Adventure Ocean did a lot of the same activities as last year, although our kids didn't spend quite as much time there this trip.

If you have been on other RCCL ships in the last few years, I'd be interested in any info on the types of activities Adv. Ocean had planned.

I have been on 3 RCCL sailings(Mariner, Explorer, and Voyager) with my DS and they activities are the same on every ship if they are in the same age group. We are skipping RCCL for spring break this year because he would still be in that group(6-8 yo) and he is getting bored with it.

The kids activities were numerous. I do not know how active your kids are but mine actually were disappointed at the end of the Mariner Cruise ONLY because there was so much going on and so much to do all the time. They left feeling like they missed out on alot of activities even though they participated in many. My kids are very active so they spent a fair amount of time playing mini golf, inline skating, ice skating, playing basketball, and of course in the arcade. Adventure Ocean took a backseat this cruise to the numerous sports options so I do not have a good comparison to other cruise structured kids activities. They were disappointed with the late night (after 10pm) adventure ocean. Our last cruise on Carnival they had specific late night parties with games they really enjoyed. There were all the standard games listed for adventure ocean but also a slime game they really enjoyed. The kids did a circus event on the promenade and their own parade. The kids really enjoyed the ICE SHOW, dont miss it. Try to get in the front row and your kids could be picked to ride the circus train on the Ice during the show.

Even with the varied activities on the Mariner, all four kids concluded they prefer Carnival. It may have been a combination of the fewer kids on board ("only 250" compared to the week prior "900+") or just the fact Carnival staff definitely seemed more "kid friendly" Overall (outside of the adventure ocean--they were excellent) but it was Not due to a lack of activities. As far as availability and options for kids activities, the Mariner was definitely number One of any other cruises we have been on. Hope this helps.

Actually the 12-14 was mostly "hanging out" as you describe. There were many 12 year olds who were "allowed" to step down into the 9-11 group for this very reason according to AO staff.

The lay out of the AO was also adjacent to the Arcade, unlike Carnival. I feel that this encouraged the older kids to just hang out (and spend money) in the Arcade more as well. RCCL Definitely has more and encourages "extra charges" as evident by the placement of the arcade. Johnny Rockets is also right next to the AO/arcade area so for older kids...3.95 cover each time they enter johnny rockets as well.

9-11 Day at Sea Schedule

The Contract,Name Game

Bonk

Fetch It

Flinch

Gaga Ball

The Great Outdoors

SNOWBALL Fight, log roll

fish kites

king of the jungle

Girls vs Boys

Team banner and cheers

quick change relay

Wind Bags

Nvelquest

listOrama

minefield

Did the 14 or 12 yr olds participate in AO? Wondering how structured it is. My son likes structure, activities, not just hanging out.

12-14 Day at Sea Schedule

who are you?

zobmondo, exciting lives and human bingo

mocktails, mafia and murder mystery

teen rockwall challenge

mind trap

dodgeball

celebrity heads

teen skate(ice skating)

dance party

sardines

raffle

My parents were in a Junior Suite 9630 and it looked like

a great size for 4 with a huge walk in closet. Plenty of Room.

Our family suite was necessary for the 6 of us and worked out great.

I would always book the family suite for 6 or more traveling together.

great value, great room, great view...

We were actually considering sharing it with another family but it was already booked on our cruise.

Thanks for the reply on the JS. We have 9280. I felt with the walk in closet, we would be much more organized and not feel so overwhelmed with all of our *stuff*.

What itinerary did you do? Any suggestions for "must see and must do" things?

We're considering Disney and/or Kennedy Space Center before our cruise. Did you do any of that?

We were actually considering sharing it with another family but it was already booked on our cruise.

Thanks for the reply on the JS. We have 9280. I felt with the walk in closet, we would be much more organized and not feel so overwhelmed with all of our *stuff*.

What itinerary did you do? Any suggestions for "must see and must do" things?

We're considering Disney and/or Kennedy Space Center before our cruise. Did you do any of that?

We stayed at the Radisson by the Port the day before the cruise which was great and very exciting watching the ships come in and out of the Port. We did not do any tours pre cruise. If you havent done Disney in awhile I would definitely pick Disney over KSC but thats just my family preference. Which Itinerary are you doing? We did Jamaica, Cayman and Cozumel. If its the same I can share some of our high and low points of those ports. For the Ship, you MUST see the Ice Show and get there early and try to get front row seats. The Ice Show is amazing and definite highlight of the ship. The shows in the lounge were okay but boring for the kids. my girls are 11, the boys are 9 and 14. The boys spent alot of time in the Arcade. There was a funny photo booth in there that the boys spent some money in but the photos were worth every penny. The boys should enjoy basketball, inline skating, mini golf. Our boys spent most of their time on the sports deck or in the arcade. or in the pool. My 9 year old son was in the 9-11 Advent Ocean and made new friends and really enjoyed some of the more active games so I think your boys will have a blast on the Mariner. The kids were all torn feeling like they did not have enough time on the ship but the Ports were just as fun. If your kids like fast food. Definitely do Johnny Rockets. Also sign up for ice skating. Its a huge thrill to say you went ice skating on a cruise ship. we missed the parades, they were just too late for the kids or there was too much going on elsewhere. We played family trivia and quest. my son and I won the twist dance contest. The cruise is what you make it and if you get more involved and participate you will certainly have a great time.

Archived