American Countess trip report

Gypsygirl100%

We are a couple in our early 60s, with 20+ cruises, including 3 European river cruises; this was our first US river cruise. We sailed November 8th, with one night at the hotel in Louisville. The trip was supposed to be Memphis to New Orleans, but due to the low water levels on the Mississippi less than 2 weeks prior to departure, we were told the entire itinerary was changed to be Louisville to Nashville; so Ohio, Cumberland and Tennessee rivers. The Company gave us no option to change the date or ask for a refund; no consideration was provided. Actually, we could have changed the date, but would have to pay the difference in fare, which would have doubled the cost of the cruise. I asked about upgrading our inside cabin to a veranda but was told the cabins were all full (which was not true). So, we changed our flights and decided to make the best of it. 

Our inside cabin was small, even by river cruise standards, and we struggled somewhat to find storage and hanging space. It was cold on our cruise, and even snowed, so we did not miss the balcony. The ship is beautiful, and very nicely appointed. There is a library, small breakfast/snack area, a back alternative dining area, very nice dining room, beautiful lounge, theater and upper deck (which we didn't really use because of the cold). The food in the dining room was good to very good, with lobster tail available at every dinner. They were very good with my dairy allergy, making substitutions when necessary. Breakfast and lunches were available in the dining room, but mostly we did the buffet in the alternative dining area. The service in all of the venues was excellent, and the staff always friendly. The Historian on board was very informative in his talks and subjects. The shows were nothing like those on the big ships, but good for small ship entertainment. The bartenders in the lounge were fantastic, patient and speedy (it is all self-service, no waitstaff). 

The ports were not what we expected (i.e., not the ones on the Mississippi) but fine really. Madison IN had a very cute downtown area, and some of the friendliest people. We ate at a burger joint, and the owner actually came over, talked to us and thanked us for coming in. The quilt museum in Paducah was surprisingly wonderful. The Bluegrass Museum was good too. Entrance fees at the ports were covered by the ship. The HOHO busses they use in ports for transportation are actually owned by AQV, and the same 3 drivers drove from port to port to drive us around. The drivers were fantastic; one even provided candy, snacks and water for us of her own volition. The Cruise Director was less than satisfactory however. She often left out relevant information (such as which attractions closed early), and provided incorrect information on the weather on one key day - it was ice and snow, but she indicated it was going to be sunny and in the 50s. 

So, to wrap it up, if the ship and the staff hadn't been so stinkin' nice, we would have been super disappointed in this cruise. The Company, as represented by their customer "disservice," could definitely use some work on their honesty and options in dealing with customers. 

• Like 1

I think the lesson here to others is to take a Lower Mississippi River cruise in the spring when the water level is most likely to be higher and the cruise company is less likely to pull a “bait and switch” with the itinerary.  On the other hand, high water levels caused by heavy rains or melting spring snow have the potential to cause itinerary-busting alterations as well, albeit not as drastic.   And they all pull a “bait and switch” to some degree or another.  The American Cruise lines Alaskan Explorer cruise that I booked for July 2023 is no longer the same itinerary that I bought into over a year ago and has subsequently been modified twice with ports eliminated (Skagway and Ketchikan), others substituted (Sitka), and more days at sea than originally planned (i.e. one day in Glacier Bay Nat’l Park instead of the original two).  So any riverboat cruise itinerary can be a crap shoot, but sorry that yours was so extreme.

Yes, I certainly do not blame the company for the water levels on the river. To my knowledge, the levels were historically low, maybe not seen for the past 100 years, so I thought we would be okay. I have experienced changes in itineraries before, one or a few ports, but not the entire cruise. Normally, if the entire trip would be changed, the cruise company would let us opt for a refund, future cruise credit or change the date at no additional charge; something, anything, maybe a little sympathy? Nothing, nada. The only real objection I have had was the company's response. The ship was great, the staff and service wonderful. I hope the new management takes care of their people and their customers. I have never personally experienced any "bait and switch" by any company I have cruised with, and I don't really think that is what AQV did in this case; their response was simply inappropriate. 

• 2 weeks later...

We were booked on this ship for the Dec 20 sailing from Memphis to New Orleans. We booked it early (in July). Booked through a travel agent. We were notified end of Oct by the agent the cruise line had cancelled and were moving guests to another ship. We were not offered that sailing because our room type was already booked and it would have more than doubled the fare. As of 12/29 we STILL have not received a refund from the cruise line! Advised it would be by 12/11, nothing, then by 12/25, nothing. Yesterday advised by the end of the year. I feel ripped off and concerned we may never get a refund. I would never book anything with this Sketchy line again!

LakeLife, we were scheduled to sail on the Countess early December.  Beginning of September we heard through a third party that the cruise was canceled, never received a notification.  Upon inquiry we were offered a cabin on the AQ leaving a day earlier for an additional $3,000!  We declined the offer and was told the refund would take 90 days.  I immediately disputed the charge with Visa and was promptly credited back.  Of course we’re out the airfares.