How many Royal Caribbean cruises were cancelled due to hurricanes last year?

We were booked on the Enchantment sailing out of Ft. Laurderdale, which was cancelled due to Hurricane Wilma. RCCL planned to use the Enchantment to bring humanitarian aid to the Cancun area - we couldn't complain about that! Actually, we wanted to see if we could *still* get on the ship to help out!

I believe the Enchantment cruise was the only one cancelled due to Hurricane Wilma - many others' intineraries were modified, though.

RCCL gave us a few choices when our original, 5-day cruise on the Enchantment was cancelled:

1. Cancel our cruise, get a full refund, and get a discount on a future cruise (I *think* 25% off?)

-OR-

2. Go on a different cruise (4 day on the Sovereign, which was modified to a 3 day due to Hurricane Wilma) for 50% off, with a $250 onboard credit per person.

We chose the 2nd option. The Sovereign was nice - although it was much too short of a cruise (hence our recent booking of the Freedom in December! :) ).

What would you guys have done?

There was a huge difference between the 2004 and 2005 hurricane season as far as cruises being cancelled.

In 2005, there were more hurricanes, but most threatened the embarkation ports during the week, when fewer ships are starting the cruise,

However, in 2004, almost every hurricane that hit florida (4 i believe) hit on a Saturday or Sunday, or both causing several dozen cruises to be cancelled.

Now, remember also that just because your cruise isn't cancelled doesn't mean the ports won't be different, or cancelled....

We are very much prepared for the possibility of itinerary changes--we know that comes with the territory when you sail in hurricane season. We just wanted to make sure that we wouldn't be out all of our money without compensation if the entire cruise was cancelled...and we do have travel insurance, as well. Thanks for your help everyone.

I also was scheduled for the cancelled Enchantment cruise on Oct. 24. One other option was to get to Miami and take Majesty which kept dwindling down and became a two nighter. I said no way to that and opted for the full refund and 25% off another sailing. Quite frankly, I think we should have gotten 50%, but oh well it is done and over. Just came back from the rebooked Enchantment and it was wonderful.

It's not just the southern ports either. Last September while on Grandeur, we left Blatimore for Bermuda. We were due back on friday morning. A hurricane was just sitting at the mouth of the Chesepeake Bay for days and wouldn't budge. We ended up staying at see for an extra day and a half getting to Baltimore Saturday late..... The next cruise lost a couple ports on their nine day IIRC.

Our cruise was not cancelled but we did get an extra day at sea from Hurricane Katrina making our 4 day Majesty cruise a 5 day. It was great for us to have that extra day of relaxation but I am sure that the cruise following us which was a 3 day cruise wound up being a 2 day did not make those passengers too happy.

Archived