OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK SEASCAPE DEC- JAN 8 2023

morpheusofthesea

Had to think about this a bit if I should post this. On turn around day we had the time to take a walk around the outside deck before breakfast. It was early and DW likes to get in a few 'laps' to start out the day. Out by the adult only Infinity Pool a young and attractive couple were in their bathing suits showering. DW brought my attention to this couple as the young man proceeded to dry himself off and took off his trunks to get 'completely' dry and got dressed. His wife was now showering as well in her bikini and DW said "Let's walk !" I said, " wait a minute". (I wanted to see if she did the same thing).

• Haha 6

Have to report the great news as well. The lock on the entrance door to the Yacht Club door has been fixed ! I tested it by locking DW outside ( I had both key cards) and she could not access the door without my assistance inside.

PS Was suspicious that the lock was repaired when pool attendant only caught two yesterday.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
Ps
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Today at the once weekly chat with CD Gene Young found out some more interesting FACTS (not rumors). This weeks chat was attended by 30 guests in the Loft Cafe. Found out that our once scheduled stop this cruise was supposed to be Belize (And was changed only days before sailing to Cozumel). Belize does not have a deep water port so this ship has to tender. The tender company hired to transport the passengers to shore has specialized high capacity (400 passenger) high speed tenders. Since the ship has to anchor so far from shore, normal tenders (200 capacity) take about 1 hour each way. These high speed tenders take 20 minutes each way. Tender company reported problem with their high speed tenders so instead of subjecting passengers to long delays MSC changed port to Cozumel. 6000 passengers /400 per tender X 1 hour each way = UPSET.

Last month on the Celebrity Beyond we had to tender to Grand Cayman as did the Disney Wonder. Each cruise company employed 5 normal tenders of 150 each and I recall posting that first to use the tenders were the ship sponsored tour groups and it was not til 11:30 am that independent guests were called to gangway. The unloading took hours with long waits for tenders back to ship.

CD Gene was asked about the new Elevators. He stated that it was the latest technology and they are aware of the problems of over use. That guests should NOT press the buttons for the multiple number of guest in ones party. That next cruise with anticipated 3500 passengers the elevators will work as designed. That the glass sided elevators (2) at the very aft/stern/back of the ship are seldom used. Found use of our YC cards sometimes work and will over ride the system calling an empty elevator and give us nonstop to deck desired, usually during non peak hours this cruise. So improvements are happening on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just have to admit something that has happened to both of us this cruise. After repeating last nights Chora Theatre production having seen it last cruise we turned to each other and said "It wasn't that bad as we once thought. Was it us? or were they actually better? We were sort of sorry we ran out of the Theatre Production the night before ("Premiere"), but we try to be soooo careful not to get sick on a cruise ship. We do miss many functions provided us by the ship because they are too crowded. Table for two in a corner, wear masks in the theatre, wash our hands after touching any surface or railing or button. Love the touchless doors leading to outside decks. Just wave hand within an inch of lit door opener button.

CD Gene took questions from the audience. A gentleman asked if the Seascape would be getting the wonderful Italian tenors that sang in the Madison Theatre productions incorporated into these new show productions. He tried to get them back, but apparently when the pandemic struck the three of them went to Venice, Italy and began a street performance act and made more money from 'TIPS' doing so that they no longer want to return to cruise ships. (So much malarkey posted on CC about Europe being a no tipping society).

These three tenors are just one example of talent that found new work and more profitable work that they do not want to return to cruise lines. Heard that the popular Bruno Vincenza, part of the jazz quartet (Seashore  Brooklyn Cafe's ) Sinatra Tribute found a more lucrative position singing in a night club in Dubai.

Kudos must go out to a gentleman officer on board the Seascape. We will be putting his name into the comment card when it is email to us. His name is Rafael Ruggiero, and is the officer we stopped on deck 8 one morning last cruise taking pictures of the ships structure and mentioned the broken lock on deck 19 entrance to the Yacht Club. He just stopped DW to tell her it has just been repaired. He said "where there is a will there is a way." DW managed to memorize the spelling of his name. He said that this lock has been broken since the ship left Civitavecchia.

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

He tried to get them back, but apparently when the pandemic struck the three of them went to Venice, Italy and began a street performance act and made more money from 'TIPS' doing so that they no longer want to return to cruise ships. (So much malarkey posted on CC about Europe being a no tipping society).

I think the story maybe is a little bit different and they don't perform on the street but outside at the cafes. These are not really tips, this is a music contribution that is mandatory and at a fixed and crazy high price. It indeed goes to the musicians. Every tourist who ever took a seat in a Venice cafe or other very touristy places in Italy knows it and never forgets 😄

If you have your Cappuccino at the bar without taking a seat you don't have to pay which is what all locals do. The price goes down 80 percent 😄

Street performances without a licence are strictly illegal in Venice and these licences are verrrrrrrrrrry difficult to get as far as I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, perakcruiser said:
35 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I think the story maybe is a little bit different

I will give CD Gene 'the benefit of the doubt' and suggest his literary license gives his story more mass appeal. But thank you for your technicals.  Reminds me of a quote by our Mark Twain " I  like a good story well told. That is the reason I am forced to tell them myself."

Gala night in the YC restaurant. Very elegant. Did not notice any shorts. Outside the YC is a different story.Took the stairs down to deck 8 and saw a ‘first’. A loan can of soda sitting on the stairs. Usually one would find such discarded off to the side or on a landing. This one smack dab in the ‘golden ratio’ which in artist circles is most aesthetically pleasing. Until one actually trips over it and tumbles down the stairs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Three other ships in port of Costa Maya today. NCL Bliss, Harmony of the Seas, and the now infamous Ruby Princes.

99D6984B-1BAE-43D2-AB1B-424C0CA20D03.jpeg

D4C87922-B746-43B8-95C4-94E1FBE1B2BE.jpeg

B9C3CDC8-863C-4F36-9C9C-11DC3D17A55F.jpeg

I'm betting you will not post pictures shore side in Costa Maya! Too hard to get through the shopping gauntlet to feel safe!

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1

Met some familiar faces on these two week cruises of avid suite cruisers. One couple was on Equinox and the Edge with us and had seen them in the Retreat several times, and another on board the Seashore several times. In talking with them about their experiences with the Retreat(Beyond)and the Haven (Prima) there is a consensus with all of us ....Don't bother with the Haven or  Retreat, we are sticking with the Yacht Club for the foreseeable future.

Another 'entertaining' observation for Yacht Club enthusiasts is the appreciation of the service one receives compared to the service received by those posting complaints. Unimaginable that those negative posts are all true. Sure the elevators don't work well with 6000 (many lazy young athletic types) that take the elevator to go one or two decks. We never experience any line, except the line to get on board the ship in Miami. I wish the TV news channels would be present at the terminal on turnaround day to video those 'slackers' that refuse to get off the ship. I video on my iphone this last group that our butler pointed out to us who were the ones holding up embarkation. But was made to delete the video by DW when she pointed out a sign posted by CBP (Customs and Border Protection) NO Videos or Photos.

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Another 'entertaining' observation for Yacht Club enthusiasts is the appreciation of the service one receives compared to the service received by those posting complaints. Unimaginable that those negative posts are all true. Sure the elevators don't work well with 6000 (many lazy young athletic types) that take the elevator to go one or two decks. We never experience any line, except the line to get on board the ship in Miami. I wish the TV news channels would be present at the terminal on turnaround day to video those 'slackers' that refuse to get off the ship. I video on my iphone this last group that our butler pointed out to us who were the ones holding up embarkation. But was made to delete the video by DW when she pointed out a sign posted by CBP (Customs and Border Protection) NO Videos or Photos.

I sound like a parrot but there needs to be consequences for those who do not follow the rules. I know, it's all about the money. Loyalty to the money needs to be tempered with keeping people in line. There needs to be a happy compromise.

• Like 1

We were outside the YC enclave walking on deck 8 after lunch and with most the ship off in Costa Maya we took the elevator and tried our key cards got a 'vip' greeting on the keypad screen and a scrolling of the decks, quickly pressed deck 16 when it lit and key pad indicated Elevator B, 20 seconds til arrival of empty elevator. Got into empty elevator and noticed no deck lit on inside display, not 16, nothing. Doors closed and DW said be prepared to press the alarm button. Elevator whisked us up to deck 19 (must be the default deck) and the doors opened, we got out and decided to try the now 'fixed' lock to the entrance to the YC enclave. iI appears to be now broken in the locked position. When we tested it with DW yesterday I was inside and let her in by pressing down on the handle inside. So at the very least this locks people out, but guests can easily exit. We had to walk down the stairs 2 decks to access the YC. Small price to pay, until the 'real' fix.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:55 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Found this interesting. When we walked into are cabin just before lunch embarkation day we found these 7 bottles of different types of liquor. Did not have to ask. Someone remembered we have  a TA that will drink anything.

623F4333-932F-40C6-A5F5-F5AA4E354658.jpeg

We have just booked our second MSC cruise (and first Yacht Club experience) on the seascape for next November.  And I was wondering about the mini bar in our suite- we've read and heard a few different tales.   

Do they:

provide mini bottles/snacks and refill at no charge

let you have your first drink/snack at no charge, then after charge?

or

provide a large bottle of spirit of your choice and mixer and just leave you alone?

As for non alcoholic options - did the butler keep the room stocked with sparkling or still water?  

Thanks in advance for any answers and loving reading your posts!

Edited by KittyCruz
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"But was made to delete the video by DW when she pointed out a sign posted by CBP (Customs and Border Protection) NO Videos or Photos."

If only there had been a courtroom artist on hand, to sketch the miscreants.

👨‍🎨

Just now, KittyCruz said:

As for non alcoholic options - did the butler keep the room stocked with sparkling or still water? 

Both. We only requested 'still', large and small glass bottles.  Stocked refrigerator and found a leather box containing small can of Pringles, Toberone and glassware. Don't know anymore the 'amenities', they change from week to week. Embarrassed to ask, really. For example, DW has me walking before and after meals so much that my custom insoles in my shoes are beginning to hurt. In today's daily planner Is an advertisement from the MSC Aurea Spa for "walk-in foot misalignment clinic today from 3:00pm-4:00pm at the MSC gym". We were waiting at 3 pm and brought our daily planner up to the Aurea Spa desk to ask when is the clinic. "sorry sir we only have one instructor and today is his day off." (You can not make this up, not going to complain, we didn't drive too far to get to the gym at 3 pm). Got 2 of the small dark chocolate bars this week, no bars last week. Was told to expect 4 chocolate ships, if they don't come, again we will not complain. The service is exceptionally better than the Retreat or the Haven.

I stopped drinking alcohol and wine when the pandemic hit, my being obese. Only thing I cut out of my diet. Got to say I am no happier, but I did lose 50 lbs. So all these bottles are gifts to those back home. Others will have to answer those questions. Nice Venchi chocolates every night on bedstand. Got none on Celebrity Beyond in November.

• Thanks 1