Suggestions for Andalsnes, Norway? Perhaps Romsdalen Gondola?

Turtles06

Happy holidays to all!

Our 21-day Norway cruise on HAL next summer includes a port call to Andalsnes (from 10am-8pm).  Apart from excursions to the Troll Road, I'm not finding a great deal of information on other options.   I'd appreciate any suggestions folks may have for our time there.

I did come across the Romsdalen Gondola.   If anyone has taken it, I'd love to know your thoughts.   Folks on Trip Advisor say it's not great if the weather is bad (no views), but with two ships in port that day, I suspect we need to invest in tickets in advance. 

Thanks for any info, tips, advice!

Sorry but we did not do the Gondola as I am pretty sure it didn't exist at the time of our visit.  We did do a shorex up the Troll Road (one of the most famous routes in Norway, and perhaps even in Europe)and it was spectacular, although just like the gondola reviews you mention, a clear weather day is the best time to do it.  We crossed fingers,  hoped for the best and got it. On the same trip we were also lucky at Geirangerfjord as we had booked the Mt Dalsnibba shorex where once again, a clear day is preferable for best views. As we rarely do shorex( preferring to DIY) we were incredibly lucky to get 2/2 as that was more than we could have hoped for.

Whether you decide on the gondola or the Troll Road, on a good weather day you are unlikely to be disappointed.  Decide which appeals to you most, but unfortunately it is a case of finger crossing (and maybe toes too!) for clear weather on the day.

Edited by edinburgher

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

. . . Decide which appeals to you most, but unfortunately it is a case of finger crossing (and maybe toes too!) for clear weather on the day.

Thank you for your very thoughtful reply.   No question that so much of this trip is weather dependent, in terms of views, etc.   We'll keep all our fingers and toes crossed.  🙂 

BTW, my wife and I visited your beautiful city in mid-October.  I'd been there a couple of times before, many many years ago.  It was wonderful to return, and, speaking of weather, it was mostly terrific.   Blue skies!  Friends in Glasgow could not believe our good fortune. 

Blue skies!  Friends in Glasgow could not believe our good fortune. 

How lovely for you being able to see the city looking at its best as the weather here is also unpredictable no matter the time of year.  You must have had all fingers-and toes- crossed on that occasion too, so hoping you will be equally lucky at the time of your visit to Norway.

• Thanks 1