Snorkeling in Costa Maya?

Ms_Pammy

Hello All,

Can anyone tell if the snorkeling in Costa Maya is any good, and if so where is the best place/location and who to book thru?

Thanks

Pammy,

We used costamayacruiseexcursions.com when we went. While the snorkeling was okay, we had seen better in Cozumel and Roatan. The area they had taken us to had a lot of sea grass. It was right at the edge where the waves were breaking which caused a lot of sand to be suspended.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All,

Can anyone tell if the snorkeling in Costa Maya is any good, and if so where is the best place/location and who to book thru?

Thanks

Hello Pammy,

We have been to Costa Maya twice now. We have snorkeled right off the small beach at the end of the pier. In front of the pool area.

We have snorkeled on both sides of the pier, the first time we were there you could go on the right side as you face the shops, this is a private area now and they have the beach area blocked off.

You can still swim under the pier though :).

This area does not have colorful coral, but it does have limestone, a lot of fish to see. We even saw a couple of lobster.

The wall area to the left of the pool area is a nice area if you do not have a lot of wave action.

The water is beautiful and deep in some areas. Anytime under water is a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend the Maya Palms Resort. 20 minute, $15 cab ride from the terminal, private beach, good snorkel boat, excellent food, owners are very hospitable, ride on the funky sand road through little villages is interesting. If you want to bring some beer back on the ship, have your cab driver stop at one of the little stores along the road because they will charge you $12 for a six pack of Dos Equis at the cruise terminal stores.

JMIKEC

Can you tell me is there anything else to do at the Maya Palms? I am traveling with my mom who is disabled and I would love to snorkel if she can do something as well? Thanks for the tip on the beer as well :)

Diving, snorkelling, eating, drinking, walking/sitting on the beach, laying in a hammock, laying by the pool, looking for iquanas, and staring at the ocean thanking God you're not sitting at your desk taking crap from jerks are the major activities at the Maya Palms. Emphasize eating. The woman who cooks there makes a quacamole and pico de gallo that is to die for.

As for activities within a 10 mile radius of the Maya Palms, that would include not hitting the dogs on the sand road, wondering who lives in those little shacks on the beach, and trying to figure out if those little ramshackle huts with the hand painted "dive shop" signs are for real. Other than that, not much to do.

Archived