I can't remember what part of the rainforest it was

Maedie1

Eight years ago, my family and I took a trip to Puerto Rico and we visited the rain forest and it was amazing. I'm going back to Puerto with my girlfriend in nine days on the new Celebration and I wanted to go back to the rain forest of course.

The excursion I saw on Carnival's website showed one but it only takes you on a small hiking trail and a swimming spot. When I went in the past, my dad found a tour guide with a van and we went with another couple to the heart of the rain forest, we saw the waterfalls, drove up and through the mountains, etc, and it was spectacular.

My question to anyone who's gone to the rain forest in recent years: do you recommend the slew of tour guides right outside the pier in PR? I want to go on the same kind of tour that I described above but I also want to go with someone trust worthy. It would've been my first time doing a cruise line excursion, but I didn't see what I was looking for on their website.

Edited by Maedie1

If you want to make sure that you have the tour experience that you want, I would arrange a tour through Viator (no u in tour).

They are a reliable agency and arrange local tour guides.

I would not pick a guide outside the pier gates.  Many will take you to stores or roadside vendors that they receive kick backs from. You may also find that the guide is not reliable.

We used this private tour for the El Yunque rain forest:  https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/ in 2018.  We had previously used them for the Old San Juan and Forts tour from ships.  I would highly recommend their company if they are still in business (since 2020 happened).  They told us so much more than you would know about on your own.  We enjoyed our tours with them very much; very professional, on time, friendly.

On 12/30/2022 at 4:43 PM, Maedie1 said:

I found out that the place I was thinking of is called El Yunque National Park! I decided to rent a car instead and drive there.

For the actual El Yunque National Forest, you need to make reservations for your car at recreation.gov. The park rangers won't let you into the recreation area without a reservation. This is a US federal agency that runs the park. many "tour guides" will try to snooker you into buying a tour for the periphery of the actual park. Be aware. Tour Guides with a 'YNF'-number permit are allowed inside the park.