Formal Wear for Teens

delyn

My daughter is 13 and will be cruising with us in a few weeks. What would be acceptable for her for formal night? She's not mature enough for most of the gowns out there and isn't small enough for the cute little girl stuff.

She has a very nice skirt and sweater outfit that is respectable, but certainly not formal - is that ok?

If you plan on attending the formal nights in the main diningroom, I think what you are describing is too casual.

You should still be able to find clearance holiday wear.

How about a black velvet skirt with a sparkley top? patent leather shoes? You could take a rather plain dress in a nice color and jazz it up a bit with a shawl, or bow around the waist.

The formal night in the main diningroom is something to be apart of, not missed. And to dress appropriately for it at any age. Children are expected to adhere to the dress codes just like adults are. While a formal gown or tuxedo are not practical, a dark suit for boys and a pretty dress for girls are not a request that seems unreasonable.

Dave:eek:

My teenage daughters have worn simple long modest dresses (bought on clearance in dept stores). They have also worn short dresses that are more "party" than "church", also bought on sale at department stores. They were strappy or strapless, but had a shrugg or nice sweater to wear with it. They were cute in dressy sandals (payless-great prices). Also, we have only been on cruises with 3 formal nights, so they have worn the same outfit on 2 nights, so I think one outfit would be enough.

Good luck and Happy Sailing!

My youngest daughter was 14 when she took her first cruise, and she wore her oldest sister's homecoming dress from her freshman year. It was new to her, so she was happy. The other girls, 15 and 18, wore long dresses that they had worn to proms they had been invited to. (Great way to recycle prom and homecoming gowns!)

We bought all these dresses at the end of the season and simply kept them until they needed them ... didn't spend more than $50 on any one of them, and they were all smashing. This is a good time to buy homecoming dresses that were left after the Fall season. Most times, these dresses are seasonless anyway, unless they are velvet. Formal separates are very popular, too, and come in junior sizes and styles and are typically the best markdowns.

I would also check your local chic consignment store .... you will probably be able to get something there if all else fails for a REALLY great price. :) I could never get my girls to wear their gowns to dances a second time, so we have consigned some nice gowns. At least I know someone else will get a wear out of them, even if only once.

My girls muttered a lot before the cruise about having to dress up, but once they were on the ship and actually did it, they LOVED it. It was so nice to see them all decked out -- and so grown up.

Best wishes to you and your daughter -- hope that finding a dress or two is a fun occasion for both of you. :)

Happy Sailing~

Archived