How to save money on Princess?

FSULB

Guess I missed a little banter this afternoon. Somewhat amusing, I suppose.

Zebboriah and A Sixth?, thanks for the backup. I think most people would find themselves staying home for the rest of their lives if they waited until they had enough money to go without watching their budget. I know I would. Yes, we're saving money for the trip, but whatever amount I end up with when it is time to go, I want that money to go as far as possible. And, meemeec (used your name rather than SOMEONE), your most recent post was slightly more friendly, but your original comments really were a bit rude and didn't provide any constructive advice. A one liner? What's that supposed to mean? "Stay home" (not a direct quote, since we're being hypertechnical) is not what I was going for with this post.

I hadn't realized CC was an evangelical forum. Guess I'll be sure to be in tune next time I log on!

I think most people would find themselves staying home for the rest of their lives if they waited until they had enough money to go without watching their budget. I know I would. Yes, we're saving money for the trip, but whatever amount I end up with when it is time to go, I want that money to go as far as possible.

I agree and if we can get some tips to save some money, why not? Most people on these threads seem to love cruising so if we can save on each cruise, then maybe we can cruise more often with what money we have.

I agree and if we can get some tips to save some money, why not? Most people on these threads seem to love cruising so if we can save on each cruise, then maybe we can cruise more often with what money we have.

We're going against our usual edict, on our January cruise. Instead of taking a best available inside we're splurging and taking a BA Balcony. It'll cost almost 50% more for the two of us, but this time we decided to do it.

I have a feeling that on our salary we'll buck the crowd who post stuff like "once you've had a balcony you can't ever go cruising again without one, I'd never be able to sleep in an inside cabin, all shut in with no windows, ... blah blah blah..." because if we want to go as often as we do (I get four and a half months vacation a year) It'll have to be a less expensive inside category.

Remember: No matter what cabin you've booked, a bunk bed inside or the grand penthouse, the dining room, playroom and backyard is the same! :D

We're going against our usual edict, on our January cruise. Instead of taking a best available inside we're splurging and taking a BA Balcony. It'll cost almost 50% more for the two of us, but this time we decided to do it.

I have a feeling that on our salary we'll buck the crowd who post stuff like "once you've had a balcony you can't ever go cruising again without one, I'd never be able to sleep in an inside cabin, all shut in with no windows, ... blah blah blah..." because if we want to go as often as we do (I get four and a half months vacation a year) It'll have to be a less expensive inside category.

Remember: No matter what cabin you've booked, a bunk bed inside or the grand penthouse, the dining room, playroom and backyard is the same! :D

A Sixth, I agree with you. We have gone from balcony back to an inside. So now you'll have one less cruise to go on next year. Half of your 2nd cruise for two could have been paid for with that extra 50%. We have only ever had a balcony twice and both times was last year. One we paid for and the other one was a nice upgrade that Princess so generously gave to us. It was nice BUT we were not really in our cabin and/or balcony to get the full benefits of the extra money. One thing I will recommend is if you want to be able to look outside, get a balcony and not just an outside cabin. All you get to see is water outside your porthole or window and you don't get the view you get from a balcony. For me, an outside is the same as an inside. A suite, minisuite or balcony would be great but if I have to choose between an extra cruise or two versus a more expensive cabin, I'll take the extra cruises any time! Maybe when we win the lottery, we can go first class every time.

Regarding bottled water we stopped at Walgreens in Fort Lauderdale right before going to the Port so we just carried the case on the ship with us along with our carry-ons. Your Luggage is taken from you when you arrive at the Port, so whatever you want to carry on you just hold onto seperately. This was the easiest way for us to do it, but you certainly can pack a suitcase with your water and soda and anything else and have it delivered to your room. Bringing water and soda onboard is "allowed", so it really doesn't matter how you get it on the ship.

In regards to alcohol though the only "allowed" drinks are wine and champagne - it is my understanding that beer is not "allowed" to be brought on. I did not see anyone carrying beer. I am sure people get it on board though along with other types of alcohol. We purchased a 5 pack of Flavored Rums in St Thomas and I told my husband to expect them to take it from us as we boarded the ship. They scanned the bag through the security and x-ray machine and just handed it back to me. We didn't drink any on board as I wanted to save it for home, but I am sure we could have. They seem to be very relaxed in this area.

I would agree with the previous poster about taking sandwiches and food off the ship. It is not a good idea as most countries have very specific customs rules about fruit, food, and flowers entering their country. I believe you can also be fined. Take my advice and just schedule your day to get back to the ship for lunch and get back off again to do more. Worked for us!

Any other questions - let me know! The best advice is to try and find the best balance for you with saving money and spending money. Figure out where you are most willing to spend your money - and take it from there. You don't want to drive yourself crazy penny pinching everywhere, but you also don't want to be foolish with your money either. Be smart and save a few dollars here and there and spend it on what is REALLY important to you. I have found that what is important to one is not the same for another.

I wish you LOTS of FUN!!

linda

CB Princess 2/18/2006....where to next???

Thanks for the info. I agree about saving a few dollars here and there so that you can spend it on what is really important to you. It is definately my mantra. That way you get the best of both worlds. I am not independantly wealthy though I like to think I am.

Can't wait !!!! Looking forward to sitting on my balcony with a glass of wine in hand and a relaxing smile on my face!! Crown 8/25

If I had to cruise this way.....I'd never do it. When does the vacation start if I have to schlep 2 cases of soda and another case of water???? Then, of course, the bottles of wine and alchohol. Plus...packing envelopes of lemonade, tea and hot chocolate AND insulated cups???

This describes camping.....not cruising.

Yeah, packing envelopes of lemonade and hot chocolate is a such a huge hassle! NOT. I always find it amusing that no matter what somebody posts, someone else has to come along and put them down, or make light of what the OP is trying to accomplish. I have to think that the majority of the folks that post here at cruise critic would rather you keep this kind of nonsense to yourself. My wife and I can probably afford to pay $2 each for pop and full price for water, but why do that when you get buy a whole 12 pack of soda for $2? My husband and I both work too hard for our money to throw it away, so I really appreciate the great comments and suggestions that people have made, and don't understand the folks that have to pretend to be superior to everyone else. It's great that you like to toss your money away, but we don't.

It isn’t a matter of superiority nor is it a matter of throwing money away. It is a matter of what is appropriate. There are plenty of ways to economize on a cruise without packing on a cooler full of soda. If there are people who feel that they should prepare for a cruise vacation in the same way they prepare for a trip to a campground or to a theme park, they don't quite understand what a cruise vacation is all about.

While of course you are on vacation, and should splurge, enjoy yourself, and relax!...

Also, I would keep in mind this. I have taken a few tours on Princess and also done some research on ports and planned my own days. The days I went on my own were not only less expensive, much more enjoyable! If well planned, these days we often passed the hords of people on an excursion, and were in a much smaller group, went much faster, and overall we did so much more! Not to mention actually getting to talk with the local guides instead of feeling like a herd just being shuttled around.

As for some of the splurges on the ship- hey, after a long day of sightseeing, a pedicure or massage may be in order. I get one before I go though, they're half the price and you may want to be at the pool or a wine tasting instead.

Why not bring wine and beer onboard? The corgage fee is worth it! You can find some fabulous wines at some ports that would be great to enjoy that night. I think their prices are very high for an average selection. I'm bringing soda onboard for my kiddos and letting them splurge at the pool on a non-alcoholic foo-foo drink instead.

Just my two cents. Wait, can I save that instead?

Message for those wondering how to save on the cruise- which is what I thought this thread was...?:confused:

Also, it's not that big of a deal to carry sodas, beer, water, etc. onboard. Just pick it up near port right before docking and tip the porters. There's a a small refigerator in the stateroom, and a good attendant will stock it daily:D !

Hey, the more you save, the more you cruise!

Message for those wondering how to save on the cruise- which is what I thought this thread was...?:confused:

Also, it's not that big of a deal to carry sodas, beer, water, etc. onboard. Just pick it up near port right before docking and tip the porters. There's a a small refigerator in the stateroom, and a good attendant will stock it daily:D !

Hey, the more you save, the more you cruise!

While we order our bottle of rum through Princess (or NCL) to be in our cabin when we arrive, we'll bring our own case of mix and a case of beer to stock our fridge. At an average savings per can of $2.00-3.00, that's as much as $60.00 of saved in cabin happy hour brew and mix

If carting 12 cans is too much for you don't do it. We do and don't mind sharing that info.

I have to say that I too agree with the majority of posters here. I go on vacation to relax, not accumulate the national debt. I want to relax and enjoy time with my family but the goal of the cruise line is to make money, if I can find ways to trim a little here and a little there..why not?. I have a huge problem paying $2.00 for a soda when I can but 12 for that at home, same with water.

I found a great excursion and tour guide who will provide the same if not better tour for $130.00 less that Princess run excursions (for our family of four), that just means more money to spend on other excursions or fun things.

Having 2 special needs children (with therapy and other expenses to pay for) - I can't see racking up a huge bill simply because someone deems it "inappropriate" for me to bring some "highly usable and consumable" items on board. Now do I advocate bringing a huge cooler out to the pool area and setting up camp -NO WAY, but no one posting here has given the indication that they would do that.

If I can go to Sams and buy a 30 pack of water for $4.00 as opposed to spending $3.00 a bottle (for 90.00 for same amount on board). I don't feel like people should be shamed for being smart.

If you can afford to spend money like that, then I am truly happy that you can do it, good for you for working hard to attain that but many other people work hard and by no means are they any less deserving of a nice vacation and need to do what they can to acheive that.

Keep posting those great tips!!!

Buy just one botle of water - when empty, fill it from the bathroom faucet - The water that the ship makes from seawater is better and more pure than any water you buy in a bottle.

Ron

It isn’t a matter of superiority nor is it a matter of throwing money away. It is a matter of what is appropriate. There are plenty of ways to economize on a cruise without packing on a cooler full of soda. If there are people who feel that they should prepare for a cruise vacation in the same way they prepare for a trip to a campground or to a theme park, they don't quite understand what a cruise vacation is all about.

How in the world does bringing soda aboard equate to understanding what a cruise vacation is about. Please explain---inquiring minds want to know.

How in the world does bringing soda aboard equate to understanding what a cruise vacation is about. Please explain---inquiring minds want to know.

I think it was pretty clear in my post – a cruise vacation is not a camping trip nor is it a trip to a theme park – no matter how much some passengers try to make it that way.

I think it was pretty clear in my post – a cruise vacation is not a camping trip nor is it a trip to a theme park – no matter how much some passengers try to make it that way.

I'm sorry but I still don't see what bringing a soda on board has to do with it. It isn't much different than bringing your own snorkeling gear. Why should it really bother you if someone doesn't mind carrying it aboard.

If I had to cruise this way.....I'd never do it. When does the vacation start if I have to schlep 2 cases of soda and another case of water????

Everyone has a different idea about a vacation. To me, it's better to go more often than to save for an extravaganza every couple of years. As far as carrying all this extra stuff, you don't carry it back home and it leaves room in your suitcase for the new stuff you buy. While we tend to be a bit thrifty, we do enjoy buying some stuff. If your idea of vacation is to be totally without the burden of bringing extras, or getting spoiled, or sitting on the internet- more power to you.

ldoc31,

You're going to find in many posts on any one of the threads here at CC people that are opinionated. Opinions are great. We can all take something away from them if we choose, yet some of these people will continue to beat a horse to death so to speak, until they jam their opinion and interpretation of what a cruise experience should be down your throat until you gag!LOL

Now let's take bdjam's posts on this thread for example. He interprets the cruise experience his way and I believe he enjoys the heck out of HIS cruise experience. He has many years of cruising under his two feet, but they're his two feet, not yours. That's how he chooses to set his expectations and there's not a darn thing wrong with it.

You go on planning any way you want to save money on a cruise just as I will. I'm going to continue to cut back wherever I can so that I can continue to take 3 or 4 cruises a year right up till I reach my fifties and hopefully well into my sixties!!

It's no-one elses business how I chose to celebrate my cruise experience in the privacy of my own cabin or for that matter any where in my life as long as it doesn't out right personally offend somebody physically.

As for the childish remarks and the elitist attitudes you'll encounter on CC, just ignor them. Sometimes people are having a bad day!;)

So that I stick to the topic....I love the idea about not letting other people you meet onboard influence your spending habits!!

Jonathan

ldoc31,

You're going to find in many posts on any one of the threads here at CC people that are opinionated. Opinions are great. We can all take something away from them if we choose, yet some of these people will continue to beat a horse to death so to speak, until they jam their opinion and interpretation of what a cruise experience should be down your throat until you gag!LOL

Now let's take bdjam's posts on this thread for example. He interprets the cruise experience his way and I believe he enjoys the heck out of HIS cruise experience. He has many years of cruising under his two feet, but they're his two feet, not yours. That's how he chooses to set his expectations and there's not a darn thing wrong with it.

You go on planning any way you want to save money on a cruise just as I will. I'm going to continue to cut back wherever I can so that I can continue to take 3 or 4 cruises a year right up till I reach my fifties and hopefully well into my sixties!!

It's no-one elses business how I chose to celebrate my cruise experience in the privacy of my own cabin or for that matter any where in my life as long as it doesn't out right personally offend somebody physically.

As for the childish remarks and the elitist attitudes you'll encounter on CC, just ignor them. Sometimes people are having a bad day!;)

So that I stick to the topic....I love the idea about not letting other people you meet onboard influence your spending habits!!

Jonathan

Great post Jonathan. Boy, great posts and a lover of Long Island Iced Tea!

I personally bring some beer on board at each port simply because I enjoy having the different brews from the different ports and I like the convience of having a cold cocktail of some kind in my own cabin whenever I feel like it.

I'm probably not the best to give advice about saving money on trips as I tend to splurge when traveling and I'm lucky I can, but I'm all for those who want to save a buck. Do whatever it is that makes you comfortable while on any kind of vacation. Whatever it is you do in your own cabin doesn't do a thing to diminish from my time and I won't offer up any kind of judgements on you!

Carolyn

Can we go back to the original subject? The first few posters gave comments about money-saving. These are all pretty good. Are there any special "tips" out there. For instance, we bought a $5 specialty coffee drink on Carnival in a $5 souvenier cup, paid $7.50 for it, and got $5 worth of internet for free. That means we came out ahead. While many of you would just drink the free coffee, skip the internet, others could benefit from tips like that. Currently, do any of you have more tips on the original topic? If someone wants to spend some money, HOW CAN THEY SPEND LESS? (examples: spa packages, photo packages) Here's my tip. We were on a Hawaiian cruise, the wife loves a relaxing massage. Instead of using the spa, I located a place on shore (via internet beforehand) and went there after our excursion. Saved a small fortune.

Can we go back to the original subject? The first few posters gave comments about money-saving. These are all pretty good. Are there any special "tips" out there. For instance, we bought a $5 specialty coffee drink on Carnival in a $5 souvenier cup, paid $7.50 for it, and got $5 worth of internet for free. That means we came out ahead. While many of you would just drink the free coffee, skip the internet, others could benefit from tips like that. Currently, do any of you have more tips on the original topic? If someone wants to spend some money, HOW CAN THEY SPEND LESS? (examples: spa packages, photo packages) Here's my tip. We were on a Hawaiian cruise, the wife loves a relaxing massage. Instead of using the spa, I located a place on shore (via internet beforehand) and went there after our excursion. Saved a small fortune.

The spas will offer special pricing a lot of the time on port days. If this is really important to you, then it's a great way to save some money by enjoying the spa on these discount days.

The spas will offer special pricing a lot of the time on port days. If this is really important to you, then it's a great way to save some money by enjoying the spa on these discount days.

Yes, while I already know this one, some people don't. I think that's what the original question was really about. Tips about spending, but spending less. I know another. Instead of using their valet service to press your suit or dress, there is an iron available in the laundry area. If it got a bit wrinkled, it's already clean, just knock out the wrinkles. Bring your own soap if you plan to launder. Throw the container away and you don't carry it back home.

Thanksforyourinfo, Thanksforyourinfo.

I just had to type that! Yes, you did seem to get the intent of my original post and thank you for trying to redirect.

I wish we could cut out the nonsense of this thread (including some of my own) so that others could better use it as a reference.

I like the idea of buying beverages at the embarkation port so that they aren't in my luggage all the way across country! I'm just not sure how convenient that will be between the airport and pier. Perhaps at the duty free shop in the airport? On the other hand, we will need space in our luggage on the way back for goodies.

Regarding booking excursions independently, I'm having a hard time doing that. I've chosen the type of excursion we'd like to do in each port, but don't know how to locate providers. I'm afraid it will just be more hours spent here on cruise critic!

Don't leave your booking with Princess. Shop around for an online TA you feel comfortable with or have one recommended to you by someone you know and transfer it over. There are plenty of full service online TA's out there. Let them earn your business. You'll save hundreds of dollars per person.

Once you're a Princess past passenger, keep checking the Princess web site pricing for price drops. Just saved $96.pp because I just spotted some past passenger pricing.

On your next Princess cruise, if you decide to have friends or family join you, check out the benefits both you and the people you refer can receive just by referring them. The information is available on the princess website!:)

Oooo Oooo Ooooo, the above is from post #13, but I 've got another one. You really made me think hard for this one Thanksforyourinfo!:D

If you're online shopping for your Princess cruise, do not assume the prices that you see on the web site of various(to be unnamed) online TA's are the best deal. Pick up the phone and call them. Just when you think you've seen a great price on their web site, you'll be amazed how the prices are even lower once you call.

Even after booking, don't assume your booking is getting the attention it deserves. You must be proactive. Pick up the phone every once in a while and check to see if your TA has received some updated special pricing for your cruise. It's the old story that you've got to be in the right place at the right time.

Heck, just last month I called my TA with that very question. She wasn't going to call me. Two minutes later I had a response that put a smile on my face that I thought only a LI Iced Tea could produce. She said "Jonathan, I've got a special on a limited amount of cabins that just reduced your cost by $106.00pp.":D

Whew!!

Archived