Tour options from Pier or port with local tour companies?

Jgarriso

This is our very first time to Progresso and i now understand a little bit more about the long pier and the shuttle from the pier to the mainland.  I have a couple questions if someone could help.  we leave next week on the Valor.

1.  When we get off the boat,  either through the gift shop of off the shuttle will there be plenty of vendors offering tours to either Merida and Mayan ruins?

2.  I have looked several times at the AutoProgreso tour site and it says no tours available and there has been not replies to my emails.  are they still running tours?

3.  How is the local public beach,   is it worth spending a couple hours at before going back to the boat or is it dirty and full of aggressive vendors?

Thanks.

I can't help in regard to tours, as we just went to the beach.  We didn't find the beach dirty and though it's not the most beautiful around, we enjoyed the water.  The vendors are not necessarily aggressive (if you give them a polite no, they'll be on their way), but they are incessant, one after another.  Every time I tried to get into a book or even nod off, someone was interrupting me trying to sell something.

Edited by Cuckoo7
  • Thanks 1

We ended up taking a tour into Merida and enjoyed it.    There is a dune buggy trip we will take next time.   BUT  after talking to other cruise guest i would also feel fine with taking the but to Progreso and walking around and shopping and going to the public beach.     From the road it really did look pretty, and its a HUGE beach.  There seemed to be quite a lot of shopping areas near the free bus stop in Progreso.

• Like 1