Antartica Expedition Questions

pvbmom

On 1/7/2023 at 1:26 AM, Jonesy333 said:

Hello,

I have a question did anyone hire boots , we are coming from Australia we have no need here for such items so we are going to hire, what are sizes like allowing for thick socks as well ??

Our cruise is not till January 24 but we have birthdays etc that we can ask for various items useful for trip I was thinking .

All the above info is very useful we have sailed Explorer July last year around the Kimberly region so we used Zodiacs every day sometimes twice a day but of course the Antarctica is completely different . Although we had wet landings it was crocodiles we had to watch out for and getting wet was pleasant because it was hot . I became a Zodiac fan very quickly every chance I could I was out exploring loved them !

I will continue to absorb as much advise and info from this link while planning our holidays .

Happy Sailing

Look at the shiptoshore webpages to assess sizing of boots etc.  You dont need "thick" socks if you get the rental boots, they are extremely well insulated and warm so just one pair of socks such as you would wear with light hiking boots will be fine.   I am a really "chilly mortal" and I have never been cold on an Antarctic expedition.  

10 hours ago, labrasett said:

You dont need "thick" socks if you get the rental boots, they are extremely well insulated and warm so just one pair of socks such as you would wear with light hiking boots will be fine.

I agree. I can't believe how warm the boots are! You step off the zodiac into six inches of freezing water and you don't feel it at all. I'm not saying that you don't get cold; I'm saying you're not even aware you've stepped off dry land into freezing water! We had to hike up some areas with snow, often sinking into the snow halfway to my knee... and I never felt anything cold, even after an hour. They are amazing. And there's no need for more than one pair of wool hiking socks.

11 hours ago, labrasett said:

Look at the shiptoshore webpages to assess sizing of boots etc.  You dont need "thick" socks if you get the rental boots, they are extremely well insulated and warm so just one pair of socks such as you would wear with light hiking boots will be fine.   I am a really "chilly mortal" and I have never been cold on an Antarctic expedition.  

Thank you

55 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I agree. I can't believe how warm the boots are! You step off the zodiac into six inches of freezing water and you don't feel it at all. I'm not saying that you don't get cold; I'm saying you're not even aware you've stepped off dry land into freezing water! We had to hike up some areas with snow, often sinking into the snow halfway to my knee... and I never felt anything cold, even after an hour. They are amazing. And there's no need for more than one pair of wool hiking socks.

55 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Thank you