Gibraltar Cruise ship Stop

One of the ports on my transatlantic is in Gibraltar and I'm very excited about it.  But I don't know much about Gibraltar.   I would definitely like to see the Rock, but I also think Catalan Bay looks interesting.   Is it possible to see both in the same day?  7 am to 2 pm.  I'm probably going to have to chose which one, but I thought I'd ask here for everyone's advice.

Catalan Bay is pleasant but small and nothing special. I'm sure there will be far better beach choices during your cruise

To go up the Rock you have two options 

- the cablecar to the top. The lower station opens at 9.30am and is a 35-minute walk from the  cruise terminal. You can get a taxi but drivers will try to persuade you to take a Rock Tour. After about 10 - 10.30am Gib. is flooded with day-trippers from the Spanish costas and lines build for the cablecar.

For whatever reason I don't hear of lines for the cablecar back down.

I doubt you'd have time to tack on Catalan Bay

- You can join an Upper Rock van tour  at the cruise terminal, marshals organise the vans, tour takes about 1 3/4 hrs. First ones leave around 9am, timed to arrive at St Michael's Cave when it opens at 9.30.  Pre-Covid the cost was about £22 / €25, I don't know the current rate but like all things it'll be significantly more - expect to pay about £35 pp. including admission to the Upper Rock, St Michael's Cave & the Great Siege Tunnels, there's no fee the Pillars of Hercules (photostop) or the apes den. It doesn't go to the highest point, but the top is a ridge and from the Apes Den on the ridge you can see east and west. Drivers will drop you back at the ship if you wish, but most folk prefer to bale out at Casemates Square to explore Main Street (all level ground).

For a small extra fee I guess the driver could take you to Catalan Bay, but I suggest that with any time in hand you explore the cafes & pubs & shops & minor sights of Main Street. Or you could agree a price with the driver for a sea-level circumnavigation which takes about 20 - 25 mins - main interest is Europa Point but it also goes past Catalan Bay. You might get others in the van to join you and share the extra cost.

Half a day is a little bit mean, but morning is waaaay better than afternoon because of crowds and you can make a decent fist of it.

Some threads to browse (but bear in mind most will be out-dated prices)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Gibraltar&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

JB 🙂

Thanks so much for the advice.  I'm going to book a tour and then see after that what time I have to look around town.  Is there any nice places to grab a drink or a meal?  It could be with a view, a quaint sidewalk cafe,   somewhere someone here can recommend so I can soak up some atmosphere for a few minutes provided there is the time.   

18 hours ago, cantgetaname said:

Thanks so much for the advice.  I'm going to book a tour and then see after that what time I have to look around town.  Is there any nice places to grab a drink or a meal?  It could be with a view, a quaint sidewalk cafe,   somewhere someone here can recommend so I can soak up some atmosphere for a few minutes provided there is the time.   

The Lord Nelson pub (and a dozen or more cafes & restaurants of very mixed standards) at the bottom (northern) end of Main Street in Casemates Square, which is where upper Rock tour drivers will drop folk.

Or the Angry Friar pub and several coffee-shops on Main Street. Atmosphere inside the Angry Friar is usually quiet and frequented by locals, but tourists much prefer the outside seating on the usually hot days.

Most places have outside seating suitable for people-watching, can't think of anywhere in town that has a view.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull