Birth Cert question

You should be fine with just the birth certificate and driver's license; but I would recommend having the marriage license as well. On my past 4 cruises they actually did look at it on 1 of them - the rest they did not even care. Paranoia makes us have it with us - last thing we want is some by-the-book person to cause undo stress....

If you use a passport there is no need for the marriage certificate. If you use a birth certificate several inconsistencies can occur.

If the person has not obtained a new driver's license, since the marriage, the name on the birth certificate will be different than that on the cruise documents and driver's license.

If they have obtained a new driver's license: the driver's license and cruise documents will be different than the birth certificate.

Having the marriage certificate simply allows immigration officials to tie all the documents together.

Now, throw a couple divorces into the mix and things can really get confusing. Then you may need multiple marriage certificates and divorce papers and an immigration agent with mensa capibility.

After December 31, 2006 passports will be required.

Why does one carry a marriage certificate? Did you or are you getting married prior to your cruise? Just curious

The most common reason for the marriage cert question is that the names on most married women's birth certificates and driver licenses won't match.

You could be presenting a birth certificate that says Jane Jones was born in Ohio on Jan 1 1960. You might then pair that with a driver license that shows your picture and identifies you as Jane Smith of Texas, born Jan 1, 1960. That could be seen as questionable.

Now . . . that being said, it is not required that you have your marriage cert and I've not heard of anyone having been asked for it.

But that's the reason for the question :)

It would not hurt to have a copy but that said my birth certificate and drivers liscense does not sport the same last name and no one says boo to me. The wedding ring, birthdate and poor harrassed spouse give it away (and the kids saying "MOOOOM, DAAAD, he's looking at me")

Archived