Baltimore - pre-cruise hotel recommendation

Erreyl

Hi all, I am on the Carnival Legend out of Baltimore this coming March and have never sailed out of this port before.  Any recommendations for a pre-cruise hotel stay? I am from Michigan and have never even been to Baltimore so any advice would be appreciated.  Was considering the Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Downtown/McHenry Row, which looks like it's right across the street, but would appreciate feedback on this location if anyone is familiar.  

Thanks!

I stayed at the Courtyard on McHenry Row pre cruise in December. It was totally fine, and very convenient - there is a grocery store with a Starbucks next door and several restaurants in the little plaza next to it. It's a cheap and easy Lyft to the port.

I had to work remotely the day I arrived, and the weather was awful, so I didn't explore anything other than the area right around the hotel.

Let me know if you have other questions. 

Here are some pictures:

PXL_20221222_162016549.thumb.jpg.ed3fa9bdb5160ef205dedb176af82944.jpg

PXL_20221222_162024219.thumb.jpg.dac60c01ad86bd0499705a359f8133ba.jpg

PXL_20221222_162217779.thumb.jpg.781cf7b6ffa5a1107532b415acd8d92c.jpg

PXL_20221222_162223015.thumb.jpg.e80c20eb466123733d3399c78cfebe7e.jpg

Oh awesome!  Thanks for the quick reply and the pics!  Looks very nice and I was hoping to use a Marriott reward so I’m glad it’s a nice option.  We will be driving in, so won’t need a Lyft, will just have to deal with parking the car.  I have actually never driven to a terminal before.  I assume we can leave the car at the terminal?  Any experience with that?
Thanks again.

17 minutes ago, Erreyl said:

Oh awesome!  Thanks for the quick reply and the pics!  Looks very nice and I was hoping to use a Marriott reward so I’m glad it’s a nice option.  We will be driving in, so won’t need a Lyft, will just have to deal with parking the car.  I have actually never driven to a terminal before.  I assume we can leave the car at the terminal?  Any experience with that?
Thanks again.

I flew in, but there is a massive uncovered parking lot right at the port. I chatted with folks that parked and they had no complaints. It's a really easy terminal. 

I don't believe there is any covered parking, so make sure you have a scraper and shovel in case of snow.

Also, just an FYI if you haven't sailed from Baltimore - it takes a long time to get through the Chesapeake, so you aren't in international waters for hours after sailaway. The plus side of that is you have US cell signal for that whole time. My cruise was delayed leaving because the Coast Guard closed Chesapeake Bay (we had to spend the time on board in Baltimore). We left around 9:30 am and didn't cross out into the ocean at Norfolk until well after lunch. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

I flew in, but there is a massive uncovered parking lot right at the port. I chatted with folks that parked and they had no complaints. It's a really easy terminal. 

I don't believe there is any covered parking, so make sure you have a scraper and shovel in case of snow.

Also, just an FYI if you haven't sailed from Baltimore - it takes a long time to get through the Chesapeake, so you aren't in international waters for hours after sailaway. The plus side of that is you have US cell signal for that whole time. My cruise was delayed leaving because the Coast Guard closed Chesapeake Bay (we had to spend the time on board in Baltimore). We left around 9:30 am and didn't cross out into the ocean at Norfolk until well after lunch. 

Thanks for the information, that is all very helpful and good tip for the scraper and shovel! 😵

We haven't sailed from Baltimore and I had looked at the map and the distance down the Chesapeake...didn't consider the cell phone signal though, so that's one bonus.  Bummer it will be dark for the trip out to the ocean though, would have liked to have seen the sights on the way!

2 hours ago, Erreyl said:

Thanks again.

You can book and stay, park and cruise deal with the Courtyard, which will save you $$ over parking at the port. It's an easy walk, as long as the weather isn't too bad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VTSKIandCRUISEGUY said:

You can book and stay, park and cruise deal with the Courtyard, which will save you $$ over parking at the port. It's an easy walk, as long as the weather isn't too bad.

Oh thanks for that tip, good to know!  I will check it out.

Park as close to the water/ship as you can...the first 2 rows is best if there is a snowstorm.  Was due to return to port when snowstorm Jonas hit and since we were in the 2nd row by the water, a lot of the snow had been blown away from the car.  The further back you went, the deeper the snow and the lot was not plowed.  

3 hours ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

Park as close to the water/ship as you can...the first 2 rows is best if there is a snowstorm.  Was due to return to port when snowstorm Jonas hit and since we were in the 2nd row by the water, a lot of the snow had been blown away from the car.  The further back you went, the deeper the snow and the lot was not plowed.  

Thanks for the advice, that is very good to know!