Touring Athens

22CeeBeeNC22

Athens has so many amazing sites! There are several don't miss museums, as well as the Acropolis, etc. You need to purchase admission tickets for many of these places.  There are also some great restaurants. You should do some research such as the top 10 things to see in Athens, and then decide how much time you have to explore these places. Staying in Athens for several days vs 1 day in port will help you decide. Walking is possible between some top attractions, but not all. Booking a tour may make it easier to get you to several places and help you save time. 

9 hours ago, 22CeeBeeNC22 said:

Are the historic Athens sites all within walking distance of one another or is transportation needed to get from place to place? Thank you. First time visitor.

How many days are you there? The HoHo Bus is a good option that will get you between a number of the attractions combined with a bit of walking. We had a 48-hour ticket last time we were there. 

It partially depends on your ability/desire to walk.  I have been to Athens 3 times (all on day-long cruise stops).  On my first visit, I took a ship excursion which was a bus ride followed by guided walking tour of the Acropolis site (we also went to Cape Sounion).  The next 2 visits, I rode the metro (subway) from the port into central Athens and then walked all over the place.  Lots of walking, but I love doing that in a new location.  I have visited most of the major sites walking in this manner -- The Acropolis, The Agora,  The Roman Agora, The Plaka district,  The Acropolis Museum, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Panathenaic Olympic Stadium, Syntagma Square, etc.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Are the historic Athens sites all within walking distance of one another or is transportation needed to get from place to place? Thank you. First time visitor.

I

I would agree with  either walking or using public transportation or the HOHO bus.

Once you have visited sites such as tripadvisor and decided which attractions you want to visit, check the Athens HOHO bus route to see how many of them are on the route.  And if there are only one or possibly two bus stops between certain ones, that might be an indication of the walking distance between them.

Edited by edinburgher

On 1/19/2023 at 1:17 PM, 22CeeBeeNC22 said:

Good question.  Yes, Athens is a walkable city.  Most of the sites interesting to tourists is downtown, within a km or two from each other. Just make sure that your hotel is located somewhere downtown as well.