What to do in Marseilles

Guest Crazeecat5

Guest Crazeecat5

What is there do to in Marseilles, near where the ship docks, if we don't take a tour? DH and I are thinking about just walking around if there is something to see or do. Any advice?

Thanks.

Sheryl

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

until cruising on the Splendor of the Seas

The cruise terminal is some distance from the central part of town, so you'll need a cab, around 15-20 Euros, unless the ship offers shuttles. The port gate is quite a distance from most of the slips, and while we were told you could catch a bus near the gate, I never saw where the stop was.

Downtown Marseille is much cleaned up and more attractive than it was when I first visited 25+ years ago. There are excellent semi-pedestrian streets with good shopping, some excellent restaurants, and in general it's a very nice area for strolling around. If the weather's nice, you can catch a ferry to the islands in the Bay of Marseille, including the Ile d'If, on which is an old Napoleonic-era prison that was the setting for the Count of Monte Cristo.

I would agree with the previous post. You cannot walk to town. At the port there will also be taxi's wanting to take you into town and give you a tour. I shared a taxi with another couple, the driver charged 80 Euro's for all of us. (4 people). He ran the meter the entire time and at the end the meter read 63 Euro's. We spent about 2 hrs with him as we needed to return to the ship for an afternoon excursion.

The Viex (sp??) Port, or Old Port in English, area is very charming, and there are some little trains that will ride you around on a scenic tour in that area. We really enjoyed the cathedral there (it's black and white striped like the cathedral in Siena). You can hike to the top of the hill and visit another church there.

We did the Vieux Port area in the morning and took the train to Aix en Provence in the afternoon. There are many small and charming villages that are a short train ride away.

Donna

Archived