Acropolis

lilk8

You have a number of options, but I if you are looking for the easiest value method, taking the X80 Express bus (from the main road in front of the port) will get you to the Acropolis Museum and nearby Acropolis.  The bus takes about 30 minutes each way and I think tickets are 4 Euros.

The easiest way would be to simply grab a taxi at the port.  I do not know the current taxi fare although would guess it is about 25 Euros.

Unless things have changed, you can just walk up to the ticket kiosk at the Acropolis and buy a ticket (there might be a line).  You should do some online research since are some combination tickets that might better suit your plans and save some money.

Hank

• Like 2

I should have also mentioned that it is a substantial walk, from the entrance, up to the actual Acropolis.  The walkway is wide, has quite a few benches along the route, and is the only way to get up to the ruins except for the rare few handicapped folks who have arranged to use the single elevator (built for a Pope's visit).  The walk is not a big deal for folks who are mobile, but it is uphill :).  Just pray that it is not a very hot day and that the air is not too polluted (Athens has a major air quality problem in certain weather conditions).

Hank

On 1/26/2023 at 12:14 AM, Hlitner said:

You have a number of options, but I if you are looking for the easiest value method, taking the X80 Express bus (from the main road in front of the port)

This is what we were planning to do as well.  But we were pleasntly surprised that the X80 bus stopped right where our ship docked.  

In retrospect it makes sense that the bus company would go all the way to the ship, and not make the passengers hike a km to the road.

On 1/25/2023 at 7:23 PM, lilk8 said:

What is the easiest way to get to the Acropolis on your own from the cruise port in Athens? Is a tour necessary? Should you pre pay to get in or can you walk up and buy tickets? Thanks

One problem that you'll encounter is that if you want to sightsee Athens on the way to the airport from the cruise ship is that you will have luggage with you. 

If you are a light packer, and are able to put everything into a day pack and sightsee with a daypack (I often do that), then you are all set. 

If you are an average packer, and you have bags with which you do not want to climb the Acropolis,  then you'll need to store them someplace.  Sightseeing with heavy luggage in tow is no fun.

Here are a few places in downtown Athens where you can store you luggage:

The Lockers Syntagma - Automated Luggage Storage

Kolokotroni 9, Syntagma, Athina, off Stadiou, off Syntagma Square; across from National Historical Museum, 37.9773°N 23.7325°E; +30 693 241 2302

Lockers4All

2 Nikis str, Athina 105 57, Greece, +30 694 562 4229; 37.9762°N 23.7334°E

Luggage Storage in Athens

Nikis 17, Athina 105 57, Greece; +30 21 0322 3531; 37.9745°N 23.7331°E

Just take X80 to Syntagma Square, leave your luggagu at one of the aobve-mentioned places, do your sightseeing, come back, pick up your luggage, then catch the metro or bus to the airport. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

We plan to use the hop on hop off bus for our day and catch it at the port.  Are combo tickets the best way to go for acropolis and other things we may want to visit on the stops?  Any suggestions on these type of tickets? 
thanks