Considering our first NCL cruise

ctlyf

We are considering our first NCL cruise. The itinerary we are looking at is Viva out of San Juan in Feb 2024. We are not cruising rookies but not experts either. We have sailed the most on Carnival (4), then RCL (2) then Princess (1). We typically book balcony cabins (only once were we in an outside cabin and never in an interior) and our last 2 Carnival cruises were in the spa category, which included access to the thermal spa. Looking for any tips, preferences, thoughts. Ideally, if you've cruised NCL and other lines, how they compare, and what you like/don't like. I believe NCL has spa rooms as well, but if you get a regular room, can you purchase a spa access package?

4 hours ago, ctlyf said:

Oh and what does the drink package cover? Is there more than just the Free at Sea package?

The drink package(PBP) covers most drinks up to $15 value there are exceptions to this rule: bottled water, fresh juices and smoothies, specialty coffees (starbucks) are not covered by the FAS package. you can upgrade to a FAS+ to cover a bigger range of drinks, unlimited wifi, more specialty dining, .. This may be better value than just getting the PBP+ (premium beverage package+).

You can also buy a  spa pass for access to the thermal suite. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ctlyf said:

We are considering our first NCL cruise. The itinerary we are looking at is Viva out of San Juan in Feb 2024. We are not cruising rookies but not experts either. We have sailed the most on Carnival (4), then RCL (2) then Princess (1). We typically book balcony cabins (only once were we in an outside cabin and never in an interior) and our last 2 Carnival cruises were in the spa category, which included access to the thermal spa. Looking for any tips, preferences, thoughts. Ideally, if you've cruised NCL and other lines, how they compare, and what you like/don't like. I believe NCL has spa rooms as well, but if you get a regular room, can you purchase a spa access package?

You CAN just buy a thermal spa pass, however the pass may range from $199-299 (depending on the ship and length of cruise).  Just like on other lines, sometimes upgrading to a spa room to start is cheaper than buying two passes separately.

• Like 1

We sailed on the Prima over New Years and it was our first cruise on NCL.  Our previous cruises were on Carnival and 1 on Princess.  We have always liked Carnival and never had any issues with them, but I had still wanted to try NCL.  The Prima is a new ship and was beautiful, but some of the venues were very small.  There were no dedicated  dance clubs or karaoke bars on this ship, like Carnival had.  I liked the entertainment on Carnival better than I did NCL, but I think the buffet was better on NCL.  I will say, it was nice not being hounded all the time about pictures on NCL like Carnival does.  The only time anyone asked to take our picture was in one of the specialty restaurants.   We really liked the food in the MDR on NCL and we always liked it on Carnival as well.  However, on the Prima, the menu in the MDR did not change over the 9 day cruise.  Luckily, there many items we liked, so it was fine.  But we always liked looking to see what was on the menu every day on Carnival.  We had a balcony cabin like we usually do  and it was very nice on the Prima.  The bathroom was more spacious than any we ever had on Carnival, but there were no towel animals at night.   Overall, I would say NCL and Carnival are comparable.  Like I've always said, is there really a bad cruise??

• Like 3

I am also considering going with NCL as I have only sailed with others.  The last 2 cruises were with Celebrity however the atmosphere was subdued probably due to the age of the passengers.  RCL had a ton of kids that plagued the dining experience from time to time, while Carnival was more fun, but had more emotions that seemed to bubble up to the surface. I guess I'm looking for that happy medium.   

Good luck in your search and sometimes I guess you just need to experience it for yourself.  Forums like this have members that think very highly of their own opinion while dismissing opinions of others.  

• Like 1

ctlyf,

Some might consider me a "rookie" here, but I did cruise 5 times in the last 53 weeks, 4 on NCL and once on Getaway Princess, their newest ship.

One large difference between the two is that NCL ships will have a deck for walking around outside that isn't on the top deck.  On older ships it may go all the way around.  On the newer ships, it will go through the ship near the bow.  On newer ships, the restaurants and bars will have locations on the outside, so in nicer weather, you can dine or drink and watch the world go by.  This has turned out to be one of our favorites.  There are also padded couches and chairs for simply sitting and reading, or whatever during the day.  I think the Prima has the same approach.

Discovery Princess does not have this, and I believe other Princess and Carnival ships also do not.  You can't just add that as an option for a cruise.  But some don't like that, it all depends.

In the fourth month of sailing, the staff was still very inexperienced on the Discovery.  Dinners in the MDR took 2 hours (not exaggerating).  A very long dinner on any of our NCL for us was 90 minutes. Usually more like 75 minutes.  So it all depends on the ship, crew experience level, etc.

We did not find the food superior on Discovery, actually the opposite.  I had 3 dinners that I would have hesitated to pay for (or sent back) if at a real restaurant.  Again, that may not be a fleet wide issue for Princess.

All other things were about equal.  

• Like 1