Accessing cunard.co.uk

RJChatsworth

We are currently crossing Biscay on ‘British’ P&O Cruises ship Iona towards the Mediterranean.  I am trying to access cunard.co.uk on Iona’s internet site.  Every time I do I end up on Cunard’s US site cunard.com where everything is in dollars.

Does anyone know how to access cunard.com from a ‘British’ ship, please?  This situation is ridiculous and I am totally exasperated with such nonsense!!

2 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

We are currently crossing Biscay on ‘British’ P&O Cruises ship Iona towards the Mediterranean.  I am trying to access cunard.co.uk on Iona’s internet site.  Every time I do I end up on Cunard’s US site cunard.com where everything is in dollars.

Does anyone know how to access cunard.com from a ‘British’ ship, please?  This situation is ridiculous and I am totally exasperated with such nonsense!!

You have the opposite problem of those of us in the US who can't get to the Cunard US website while on board Cunard ships. The only way I know to get to the UK Cunard website while on board a ship that insists it's not in the UK is to use a VPN that makes it look like you are located in the UK. If you don't have VPN software installed on the device you are using, I imagine it could be a real challenge to download and install one using the ship's wifi at this point.

I had the same problem and unfortunately for some reason Carnival won’t allow access through the ships internet using a VPN. 
I’m in the US at the moment and bizarrely using a VPN I still can’t access the UK pages!!!

57 minutes ago, Wonky said:

I had the same problem and unfortunately for some reason Carnival won’t allow access through the ships internet using a VPN. 
I’m in the US at the moment and bizarrely using a VPN I still can’t access the UK pages!!!

Interesting that you can't get to Cunard UK from the US using a VPN. Here's a screen shot captured just a few minutes ago showing my access to the Cunard UK website from here in Iowa using a VPN.

225860521_CunardUKfromUSviaVPN.thumb.jpg.c739e7fd8c62a1b8d597df2822b1b10b.jpg

3 hours ago, Ynox said:

Tried going to https://www.cunard.com/en-gb ? I work for a German company so spend a lot of my time on a VPN where it looks like I'm connecting from Germany so the website defaults to German and EUR for currency. I manually go to the UK site and it works for me.

You are quite correct. I misspoke. You can get to the Cunard UK website from outside the UK by typing the specific address "cunard.com/en-gb". I do that all the time from here in the US. Duh! I must have been suffering a brain cramp!

In my experience that only works for the Cunard UK website though. I can't get to the Cunard sites for Australia/New Zealand (/en-au) or for Germany (/de-de) without using a VPN. I think the same is true for those in the UK attempting to access the Cunard sites for the US (/en-us), Australia/New Zealand or Germany.

When I do attempt to access the Cunard UK website from the US without using a VPN to make it look like I am in the UK, I am usually greeted with this "Choose your location" screen.

1182626111_ChooseYourLocation.thumb.jpg.e8eee5cf8e62a8a396c28a7d6aa5f641.jpg

It's easy enough at that point to continue on to the Cunard UK website. In my experience there is some functionality that doesn't work though. They don't allow me to get very far with the actual booking process. I can select a voyage, request "Book now", select the number of guests and select a cabin category. But then when I select "View fares", I just get this "Select your fare. 0" screen which does not allow me to proceed any further with the booking process. And note the "From" fares it has quoted me while I'm on the UK site are in US dollars.

912396907_SelectYourFare0.thumb.jpg.c080bc1730bd698ecc7d055ec191227c.jpg

So, I agree it is possible to view the Cunard UK website from outside the UK without using a VPN and most of the functionality to simply browse that site works as long as you aren't hoping to browse the UK fares. I appreciate the correction to my statement saying it requires a VPN to access the UK site from outside the UK (or from a ship that acts like it's in the US).

Edited by bluemarble

Just to follow up on my previous comment, I tried the specific scenario @Ynox mentioned of accessing the Cunard UK website "cunard.com/en-gb" while using a VPN connection that makes it look like I am in Germany. Interestingly, I am seeing the "From" fares quoted in UK pounds that way. I still can't get the "View fares" step of the booking process to work to drill down to see if Saver and Cunard fares are being offered, but I can at least browse the lowest "From" fares in UK pounds for each cabin category in that scenario. Go figure. As is often the case, your mileage may vary depending on your particular configuration.

5 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

@bluemarblejust to add, I’ve tried here in the UK and /en-us and /en-au both default to /en-gb. However, I am able to visit /de-de.

image.thumb.jpeg.9bee43287c4b438f028a3ce2d56f574d.jpeg

Thanks for that update. Very interesting. When I attempt to get to "/de-de" from here in the US, it redirects me to "/en-us". But when I use a VPN to pretend I'm in the UK, I'm seeing the same thing you have reported. I can get to "/de-de" that way. Once again, go figure.

• Like 1

In Australia, we have the same ability to get to the Cunard en-gb site for basic information.  The "choose your location" screen is similar to what @bluemarble encounters, but with different flags:

image.png.bf8c2234b0636929d79b18f02ea12ca5.png

Booking a cruise on en-gb results in fares in US$, although all other screen content is UK. Trying to proceed further results in the same "select your fare - 0" dead end:

image.png.ce8dbd5ee09a51ff38dce8153b3213bf.png

From Australia, we also cannot get to en-us or de-de without using VPNs.  Typing these urls in manually results in a redirect back to en-au.

• Thanks 1

One other (perhaps) interesting item...

All the way at the bottom of the en-gb home page, there is an option to "change country", although selecting this link simply reloads the en-gb home page.  Perhaps this may be a future functionality, like many airline sites have, to select the country site you wish to utilise.

image.thumb.png.90d006ef7188fd0cb96fdabe4c854f6b.png

The en-au site does not have this "choose country" link.

image.thumb.png.2913b742649c7ab12f919b4a6d7be27d.png

1 hour ago, sfred said:

One other (perhaps) interesting item...

All the way at the bottom of the en-gb home page, there is an option to "change country", although selecting this link simply reloads the en-gb home page.  Perhaps this may be a future functionality, like many airline sites have, to select the country site you wish to utilise.

image.thumb.png.90d006ef7188fd0cb96fdabe4c854f6b.png

The en-au site does not have this "choose country" link.

image.thumb.png.2913b742649c7ab12f919b4a6d7be27d.png

Good catch. That "Change country" link on the Cunard UK site does nothing for me either in the US. But once I use a VPN to make it look like I'm in the UK, that "Change country" link takes me to this page.

1840417286_ChangeYourCountry.thumb.jpg.0c1aa287db847c1dd1cf491532b95783.jpg

The links on this page do just what you'd expect. The United Kingdom link goes to /en-gb and the Germany link goes to /de-de. That sheds new light onto why the Cunard Germany site is accessible from the UK but not from the US or Australia.

• Like 1

Further to this discussion, the Cunard Germany website has a "Land ändern" link. Not surprisingly, that leads to this page.

15348056_WhlenSieIhrLand.thumb.jpg.d99a63b826044f7ec56949b5eb3fad8c.jpg

Selecting the "Cunard UK" link on that page leads to this page.

1134817234_ChooseYourLocation(Germany).thumb.jpg.7761f4ee4f8c2a298a24308efcd30cdb.jpg

Cunard does appear to be attempting to facilitate transitions between the UK and Germany websites. It's possible to get past the "View fares" prompt on the UK site and see real Early Saver and Cunard fares when accessing the UK site from Germany. And if I play around with clearing cookies, I'm eventually able to get past the "Priese anzeigen" prompt on the Germany website when accessing it from the UK.

Edited by bluemarble