You Mean There Is A More Comfortable Way To Sleep?????

Well you can always go on HAL...

Westerdam is the first ship delivered complete with HAL's new Signature of Excellence cabin amenities, including plush Euro-top mattresses, cotton bedsheets, waffle and terry-cloth bathrobes, premium massage showerheads, 5x magnifying makeup mirrors, and salon-quality hair dryers. Other ships in the fleet are being retrofitted with these features over the next two years.

Found that on Frommers...

I still say the beds are comfortable, and I talked to my mom last night, she has been cruising since I was a child, and she said she loves the beds on cruise ships, and we both have expensive mattresses on our beds. I love a foam mattress, have one on my guest bed and everyone that sleeps in there talks about how comfortable it is and wants to know what is on the bed. They are always surprised when I tell them I just bought a piece of foam, put it in a cover and that is the mattress. I suffer arthritis too and it never bothers me on the ship.

I guess it is like everything else, some of us are going to like it and be happy and others are going to hate it. I found a thread from 2004 where the discussion of cuise ship beds happened, so this is like all other threads, it cycles around every so often.

But regardless, unless you have a pillow top mattress, down comforter with duvet, sown pillows and egyptian cotton sheets, its not comfortable. ;)

Pretty much exactly what Carnival upgraded to. My daughter said, "it was wonderful. Better than my bed at home!" No idea if all have upgraded though.

We got to our room on Enchantment 2/27 by 1:15pm (they said we could go there after 1pm) and I immediately requested a foam mattress pad from our stateroom attendant. She knew what I was talking about and checked into it for me, but came back a while later and said there were no more left. Perhaps Enchantment doesn't have as many as other ships, or perhaps other people requested them prior to the cruise. I don't know, but I truly believe my stateroom attendant tried for me (she was exceptional with everything else we requested), so I wouldn't count on getting one onboard if you really need one.

For the record, I usually sleep like crap in hotels because of the mattresses. I didn't have much problem sleeping on the ship (we were NOT in the new section), and the mattress wasn't too bad IMO. Maybe the motion just rocked me to sleep, but I didn't even have a backache in the morning like I usually do in hotels. So it must just depend on the ship.

For the poster who was 18 weeks pregnant and got an elevator ride to/from the muster drill, I'm just curious (and please don't think I'm complaining...I truly AM just wondering and I'm trying hard to word this so you don't get offended)...did you have medical problems with your pregnancy that necessitated use of the elevator vs. the stairs? I'm just surprised that someone who couldn't use the stairs for the muster drill would be allowed by their doctor to go on a cruise at all, because of all the walking involved (since 18 weeks isn't very far along). My doctor didn't let me golf during my pregnancy, because I hadn't done so in over a year before getting pregnant and she just wanted to be cautious. OR, were the ship's staff just being really nice and offering to let you do that? Again, please don't think I'm criticizing because I'm not (and please don't anyone else get on her about this), I'm just surprised, that's all. They guarded those elevators during our muster drill like the president was on there! Either way, since this happened in 2004, you've obviously had your baby by now, so congratulations!!! You were right to suggest to the OP to get rest now while it's possible. My girls are 7 and 9, and the "teenage years" are fast approaching where I'll once again have sleepless nights!

I don't remember being really uncomfortable on RCI beds ( although there are a few other things I don't remember either due to unaccustomed drinks, LOL), but we just went on a Carnival cruise and those beds are MEMORABLE, by golly! Wish RCI would upgrade to this level of sleep comfort, but I can't even imagine what that would cost, fleetwide.:eek:

I'd suggest giving it a try... I just got back from a cruise on the Enchantment yesterday, and found the beds to be soooo incredibly comfortable. I was even considering putting my mattress out in the hall with my red tags and other luggage, to see if I could bring it home with me ;)

The foam mattress mixed with the light swaying of the ship (plus going non-stop during the day) equalled the greatest 5 nights of sleep of my life :D

We got to our room on Enchantment 2/27 by 1:15pm (they said we could go there after 1pm) and I immediately requested a foam mattress pad from our stateroom attendant. She knew what I was talking about and checked into it for me, but came back a while later and said there were no more left. Perhaps Enchantment doesn't have as many as other ships, or perhaps other people requested them prior to the cruise. I don't know, but I truly believe my stateroom attendant tried for me (she was exceptional with everything else we requested), so I wouldn't count on getting one onboard if you really need one.

For the record, I usually sleep like crap in hotels because of the mattresses. I didn't have much problem sleeping on the ship (we were NOT in the new section), and the mattress wasn't too bad IMO. Maybe the motion just rocked me to sleep, but I didn't even have a backache in the morning like I usually do in hotels. So it must just depend on the ship.

For the poster who was 18 weeks pregnant and got an elevator ride to/from the muster drill, I'm just curious (and please don't think I'm complaining...I truly AM just wondering and I'm trying hard to word this so you don't get offended)...did you have medical problems with your pregnancy that necessitated use of the elevator vs. the stairs? I'm just surprised that someone who couldn't use the stairs for the muster drill would be allowed by their doctor to go on a cruise at all, because of all the walking involved (since 18 weeks isn't very far along). My doctor didn't let me golf during my pregnancy, because I hadn't done so in over a year before getting pregnant and she just wanted to be cautious. OR, were the ship's staff just being really nice and offering to let you do that? Again, please don't think I'm criticizing because I'm not (and please don't anyone else get on her about this), I'm just surprised, that's all. They guarded those elevators during our muster drill like the president was on there! Either way, since this happened in 2004, you've obviously had your baby by now, so congratulations!!! You were right to suggest to the OP to get rest now while it's possible. My girls are 7 and 9, and the "teenage years" are fast approaching where I'll once again have sleepless nights!

I am not the type of person that does soemthing if I don't want to do it-I walked up to the staff person stationed at the elevator on my floor, told him I was 18 weeks pregnant and told him me and my family were taking the elevator-what's he gonna say, NO? I could have walked, but why-I was 18 weeks pregnant, the last thing I need is to be crowded, pushed, and stepped on by rude people in the staircase-imagine RCI's liability should I get hit or poked in the stomach by someone crowded in the stairs-no way.

It wasn't even an issue-I guess many people just don't realize how much you can get from people if you just ask-that's like when you are at an amusement park and there are 2 lines for a ride, and all the lemmings crowd into one line because they are simply following the lemming in front of them, while the second line remains empty because so many people fail to think for themselves-that's not me-I'm the first person in front of the other line, with no waiting-just depends on the type of person you are.:D

People pretty much do what I say most of the time, because I speak in such a way that doesn't leave much room for refusal-not rude or nasty, just assertive. Plus DH is really big, nobody tends to say no to him either.:eek: :D

Do you really think a staff member would ask for a doctor's note from a pregnant woman asking to use the elevator? Come on.

I was on Carnival in Sept '04, and the beds were still bad. I think that change happened after our cruise. But regardless, unless you have a pillow top mattress, down comforter with duvet, sown pillows and egyptian cotton sheets, its not comfortable. ;)

And this is exactly what they have now on Carnival! It's just awesome, the most comfortable bed, sheets, comforter that I've ever slept on. It sucks the awake right out of you. :)

I am not the type of person that does soemthing if I don't want to do it-I walked up to the staff person stationed at the elevator on my floor, told him I was 18 weeks pregnant and told him me and my family were taking the elevator-what's he gonna say, NO? I could have walked, but why-I was 18 weeks pregnant, the last thing I need is to be crowded, pushed, and stepped on by rude people in the staircase-imagine RCI's liability should I get hit or poked in the stomach by someone crowded in the stairs-no way.

It wasn't even an issue-I guess many people just don't realize how much you can get from people if you just ask-that's like when you are at an amusement park and there are 2 lines for a ride, and all the lemmings crowd into one line because they are simply following the lemming in front of them, while the second line remains empty because so many people fail to think for themselves-that's not me-I'm the first person in front of the other line, with no waiting-just depends on the type of person you are.:D

People pretty much do what I say most of the time, because I speak in such a way that doesn't leave much room for refusal-not rude or nasty, just assertive. Plus DH is really big, nobody tends to say no to him either.:eek: :D

Do you really think a staff member would ask for a doctor's note from a pregnant woman asking to use the elevator? Come on.

I actually admire people like you who are that assertive! I'm assertive when I feel passionate about something, but most of the time I just let things go because it's not worth the hassle. Kind of like picking your battles with the kids!

I've only cruised twice before, but both times I distinctly remember staff members standing in front of the elevators and not letting anyone even come near them during muster drill. That's why I was surprised. Good for you, though! I also have a hubby who's tall and large, and most people don't want to mess with him, either (although he's FAR from confrontational!!!).

Anyway, I hope I didn't offend you by my question. I was just curious. Thanks for your reply!

Archived