Puerto Plato Dominican Repub;ic

wintertexancruiser

We will be there in about 2.5weeks and I can report back more. But from my research, no tender. 3 ships can dock there. the port itself has a free pool and a few things to do and shops. Geared towards tourists. Puerto Plata downtown area is walking distance, but some report it being... not the best area. But there are sanctioned tour guides outside the port to guide you around that work for tips (though allegedly they can be pushy- guess I'll see soon), as well as guards to keep tourists safe. Some have reported they felt very safe, some folks turn back around and go right back into port. We live in NYC so I'm not particularly concerned. I'm used to seeing the armed guards in parts of the city on occasion so it doesn't bother me too much. We shall see.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 5:28 PM, wintertexancruiser said:

We will be going to Dominican Republic on our NCL trip i December.

Does anyone know if this is a tender port? Also, are their places to walk to when you get off the ship or do

you need an excursion?

Thanks

Just got back from Ncl getaway 12 nights January 2023. Ship docked at pier. Negotiated a cab to Puerto plata beach $50.00 and split it with another couple. Be firm if negotiations are altered as they tried to bump up to $75.00. I straighten it out before getting in cab.

Definitely not a favorite place!

Supposedly the Carnival area is very nice right off ship!

16 hours ago, cementhands said:

Just got back from Ncl getaway 12 nights January 2023. Ship docked at pier. Negotiated a cab to Puerto plata beach $50.00 and split it with another couple. Be firm if negotiations are altered as they tried to bump up to $75.00. I straighten it out before getting in cab.

How was the beach, please?

On 2/14/2023 at 2:29 PM, cementhands said:

Curious to know which beach did you go to? Was it called Playa Dorada? If so, is it a public beach or you needed a resort day pass?