Nassau begging

gumballz

Is it common for local children to beg in Nassau? Actually, not only children but anyone? I know it can be pretty bad in Mexico, but I've never been to the Bahamas so I have no clue.

Thanks!

No, you won't find panhandling downtown or in the tourist areas. You WILL find a couple of kids (especially after school in uniform) asking to "sing you a song for $1" .. don't do it unless you want to pay them each a $1. They will also sell you flutes, walking turtle toys etc. (good deals if you are interested) Most of these kids have a parent who's working nearby and they are waiting to go home after work.

Some people try to give you free bracelets for a donation. But they want a rather large "donation" for a cheap bracelet.. it's not worth it. Just say no and walk away.

There's are not dirty poor people.. just people making a living.

Scubagirrl, what's your play on the proper 'etiquette' of taking photos of these children if I pay them to sing a song or whatever? I love photography and would really like to get a shot of some local children for my scrapbook. I just don't want to overstep any boundries or anything.

Thanks for all your help and advice. You're a valuable CC member!:)

Scubagirrl, what's your play on the proper 'etiquette' of taking photos of these children if I pay them to sing a song or whatever? I love photography and would really like to get a shot of some local children for my scrapbook. I just don't want to overstep any boundries or anything.

Thanks for all your help and advice. You're a valuable CC member!:)

Just ask them before snapping a photo.. most will flash you that beautiful bahamian smile.

Archived