Valiant Lady Transatlantic Cruise April '23

LuF

I'm on board...and did the October crossing as well.  I was recently told that the April crossing is only about 1/3 full, but not sure how reliable that is.  

I agree that the October WBTA was booked at about 1400, and supposedly about 100 disembarked after our only rough seas day on the entire cruise.  We never felt full or had trouble getting reservations for anything other than NSA.  We did learn that some people made NSA reservations for multiple nights and didn't show...so the game was to go to the standby line and you'd get in.  Other dinner, show, or whatever reservations were readily available and we made lots of changes part way into the ship (good changes...to take more advantage of things we liked).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 12:42 AM, cantgetin said:

I'm on board...and did the October crossing as well.  I was recently told that the April crossing is only about 1/3 full, but not sure how reliable that is.  

I agree that the October WBTA was booked at about 1400, and supposedly about 100 disembarked after our only rough seas day on the entire cruise.  We never felt full or had trouble getting reservations for anything other than NSA.  We did learn that some people made NSA reservations for multiple nights and didn't show...so the game was to go to the standby line and you'd get in.  Other dinner, show, or whatever reservations were readily available and we made lots of changes part way into the ship (good changes...to take more advantage of things we liked).

100? I thought it was only a handful of people (one or 2) who left - i never heard it was that many.

I knew some crew left at funchal and they did a switch. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:32 PM, jon81uk said:

On the October westbound transatlantic there was about 1400 but some left at Funchal before the Atlantic crossing. 

The ship never felt busy though.

Sailor services mentioned it was either 1600 or 1700. The cruise after was meant to have been 1700 and that seemed really really busy. Hence why i asked sailor services for the numbers and seemed surprised. So i wouldnt be surprised if it was actually 1400 on the TA.

• Like 1

Another thing to keep in mind is that the captain will alter course if he can in order to give passengers the best possible weather on any cruise.  Obviously there are certain ports that have to be reached at a particular time, but there is some flexibility while at sea. He and the cruise line know that they don't want passengers thinking that they had a horrible cruise due to bad weather.

We've had some bit of rough weather or storm on each cruise line we've sailed on more than once, but if I've been on a line more than once, I've done at least 5 cruises with them.  If they close the pools and put nets over them, it is rough.  It can happen anywhere in the world at any time...but there is no reason to believe that it will destroy our cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cantgetin said:

We've had some bit of rough weather or storm on each cruise line we've sailed on more than once, but if I've been on a line more than once, I've done at least 5 cruises with them.  If they close the pools and put nets over them, it is rough.  It can happen anywhere in the world at any time...but there is no reason to believe that it will destroy our cruise.

On the TA Med to Miami last October they covered the pools with the nets, but it looked fun. lol The big bubble pool in the back of the pool deck started to build up a wave and ended up like a rapids going in circles lol 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Millertime46 said:

I was considering this cruise and can’t get my head around the 8 days at sea portion of the voyage. They couldn’t break it up with one stop in Bermuda ? I enjoy sea days but this is crazy. 

We did the westbound transatlantic last October and the sea days actually flew by. For me it was like going to a resort where you chill by the pool in the day and party a bit in the evening. 

enjoyed it so much we’ve booked to do this one in the opposite direction, although port stops in Europe are largely the same, just Palms de Mallorca instead of Ibiza.

Edited by jon81uk
  • Like 3

We've done 8 or 9 TAs on different lines, including October on VV.  They brought on some extra entertainers as well as speakers and project people, and our group organized additional activities.  There was plenty to do.  The issue us whether you consider the ship to be the destination (as we do) or whether you are cruising for the ports.

• Like 4

Thank y'all for the feedback. This is the 1st time with Virgin, looking forward to it.

When do they tell you the specific cabin number? Day of boarding?

LuF

10 minutes ago, LuF said:

Thank y'all for the feedback. This is the 1st time with Virgin, looking forward to it.

When do they tell you the specific cabin number? Day of boarding?

LuF

assuming you haven’t booked the lock it in guarantee rate you should already know the cabin number. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

assuming you haven’t booked the lock it in guarantee rate you should already know the cabin number. 

Thank you J, so it says GTY and that means I have the guaranteed 'type' but not specific location.

And that means I get to know my cabin on boarding day?

• 4 weeks later...

We have an asnwer!!!

On board since last night, 1,800 pax (out of possible +/- 2,450).

Great meal at the Wake as we left Miami, no complaints so far.

Fingers crossed...

• Like 3