Wife is scared

mulder

I bought snorkeling gear today, we are staying in Riviera Maya, MX in five weeks. I am very excited to go snorkeling as are my parents who will be going with us. My wife on the other hand is scared. She loves getting in a pool and can swim good, but is scared of ocean, lake, beach, pond or any other naturally occuring water source. She is afraid of fish and other water dwelling beasts :D . Has anyone else experienced this and over come it? I want to have a good time, but I am afraid that my wife will fall apart.

I bought snorkeling gear today, we are staying in Riviera Maya, MX in five weeks. I am very excited to go snorkeling as are my parents who will be going with us. My wife on the other hand is scared. She loves getting in a pool and can swim good, but is scared of ocean, lake, beach, pond or any other naturally occuring water source. She is afraid of fish and other water dwelling beasts :D . Has anyone else experienced this and over come it? I want to have a good time, but I am afraid that my wife will fall apart.

My wife had the same fears. There's a couple things, ask about how deep the water is before you go. Many people want that "shallow" water comfort instead of seeing the 20ft. or so below them (sorta anti-afraid of heights kinda thing). You should also try not to go on windy days as it stirs the surface and makes waves that may put water in her snorkel. Next, I promised, and did, stick to her like glue (we held hands while snorkeling - go in the water first with her following and you right next to the entry point). You might also ask if one of the crew will enter the water with her. I've seen some who will and some who won't. Remember, sometimes just having someone next to you helps a lot. I also had my wife talk to the snorkel-master on the boat to hear how safe it was from someone other than me. In addition, ask the snorkel boat to let her look at the fish guides they always carry with them and let her get familiar with the local fish and creatures she'll be seeing. If possible, do a scavenger hunt, where each of you pick some fish to find and try to be the first one to find them. Finally, try to get her to sit next to someone on the boat that's older, younger, excited about snorkeling, etc. and start a conversation about how much fun snorkeling is. She'll see she has nothing to worry about.

Finally, if all else fails, let her enjoy some sun while you snorkel. Never force someone into the water that doesn't want to go. In the long run it will be safer and more fun for the both of you.

I used to be apprehensive swimming on the surface, not knowing what was under the water, but once I started diving and saw what was actually there, I realized that there really wasn't anything to be concerned about. All most all creatures that live in the water want little if anything to do with people. Only a few are a bit curious, but other than that, if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone.

My wife was scared too. She doesn't swim well either.

It helps to go to a pool with the snorkeling gear and get used to it, at least in a pool. When we were in west Oahu last year, she was still afraid, and the wind/waves didn't help then. But the next trip in Kona coast, the boat had noodles, and that made the difference. My wife (and my friends, two other older couples who did not snorkel before), found having a noodle to hold in front of you head, gave them the comfort feeling they needed. They all enjoyed snorkeling that time.

My wife was scared sh*tless at first, so I got her a snorkel vest, next thing I know she's off on her own following a baracuda for about 1/2 hour. Ever since then she always checks out the snorkel trips where ever we go. She may take an extra noodle along but she loves it, knowing that each time we go there is something different lurking below the surface. She has seen dolphins, sharks, rays, turtles, and last year a giant eagle ray, who knows whats next.

All of the advice above is great:

Don't rush her.

Encourage her to snorkel only during optimal conditions.

Above all, show your own enthusiasm. Nothing will make her want to get in the water more than seeing you and others excited about what you're seeing!

Have fun!

D.

• 2 months later...

My wife has a great philosophy. When there are too many fish around her when she's snorkling, she lifts her head out of the water. She feels "if I don't see them, they are not there". Has used this theory in Aruba, Cozomel, Grand Cayman, Cabo and in July, St. Thomas.

Archived