Jewelry and cruising

packedandready

Why don't people take their actual wedding band and engagement ring? Personallly, I leave those two rings on all the time so there wouldn't be a need to store in the ship's safe?

Is there a reason why someone shouldn't take their wedding and engagement rings?

Dancermom5

The concern with wearing flashy expensive jewelry would be the fear of a strong armed robbery on some of the economy depressed islands that the ships stop at. The majority of the natives are very poor.

I don't know about your insurance policies, but ours has a limited $$ for jewellery. Only my engagement ring and wedding band are "itemized". That means they are covered for replacement value...and the charge for that is hefty.Still, I leave them in the bank when I travel, because I would be so sad to lose them. To be truthful (and tell the WHOLE story!) I leave them in the bank all summer because a) my fingers swell in the heat and b) I do more outdoor activities and don't want to wear them.

I have seen women wearing BLING (even DOUBLE BLING!!!) jewellery at the pool and I think it looks ridiculous (sorry, if any readers are guilty!!)

Bottom line...we each have to do what is comfortable for us.

Last year, we took a cruise followed by attending a formal wedding. I still didn't take my jewellery. I didn't want the responsibility! I was on vacation!! That's just me. I don't expect anyone else to feel the same.

Our basic homeowner's insurance also has a limited dollar amount for jewelry, but we have an additional personal property endorsement for my diamond ring. Prior to having it insured, I was required to submit two different independent appraisals, as well as photos.

Sky Sweet,I imagine most people have what you and I have. Although...I know some people who have very $$$ jewellery that they wear only on special occasions and they have them insured only when they are out of the bank. This is a bit of a nuissance, I think. You have to phone the insurance company when you take it out, and again when you put it back. It's tough to have beautiful things, isn't it??????????

Archived