For past female Costa pax using Birth Cert for ID...

taszmom

This is a question to all married female pax who have already sailed on Costa and used Drivers License and Birth Cert and have a different names on each document....

Were you required to show your marriage license proving you changed your name???

What about step-children who have different last names then their parents, were you required to have a consent form from the absent parent.

I want to clear this up because in Costa's tickets, it states these extra documents are required. I believe they are just stating it to CYA and that it is truly not required by the Customs agent. I know of hundreds of people in these scenarios and these documents are not required.

Has anyone been denied or heard of anyone being denied boarding because of this?

We sailed on the Meditteranea last April and are sailing the Magica in 36 days!! I did bring a copy of my marriage license because, obviously, the name on my birth certificate and drivers license are different. I cannot remember if they actually looked at the marriage license however when we were embarking I did hand it over with all the rest of our docs. I would rather have it and not need it than be told I can't get on the ship because the names are different. It's one little piece of paper, doesn't weigh anything and after we were on the ship I just locked it up in the safe as I don't recall needing it to reboard at each stop.;)

If I were you, I would make sure I had any documentation Costa advises you to have. It depends on where you plan to get off the ship. Costa may not require that you have these documents to board their ship; but the immigration officials in different countries may require them in order to let you leave the ship. Some have really stressed their requirements recently, like the Dominican Republic. They even require that anyone over the age of 14 have a government issued photo ID if you are arriving by plane. (That's for US citizens. I don't know if they enforce these requirements for cruise passengers.)

It really would be sad to have a big day planned somewhere and be sent back to the ship by the local immigration officials.

Archived