Has anyone ever "snubaed"?

I was going though some shore excursions today and it looks really interesting. Does anyone have any stories good or bad to tell a first timer?

[img]http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/love/lieb24.gif[/img]
Official member of O.A.T.C.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;2;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until we fool around on the Miracle!

Ecstacy, Western Carib. Sept '99
Pride, Mexican Riv. Feb '04 <A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/sweetcharlotte30
" TARGET=_blank>[url]http://community.webshots.com/user/sweetcharlotte30[/url]
</A>
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
And today is a gift.

I SNUBA'd in Hawaii and loved it. I always wanted to do SCUBA diving but haven't ever gotten around to it. Snorkling is fun, but I'm too naturally bouyant to be able to dive down and stay submerged very long. SNUBA is merely SCUBA with the tank on a float on the surface. Other thant that it's EXACTLY THE SAME THING! This removes any problem of going too deep, since you CAN'T go too deep! (the hose isn't long enough). I was able to actually stay down and get some great pictures of fish and underwater terrain. I'd say give it a shot if you're interested.

Jerry

Triumph 05/05/01
Fascination 09/14/01[i]cancelled[/i]
Fascination 12/07/01
Triumph 10/24/02
Fantasy 05/18/03
Statendam 05/09/04

[img]http://members.cox.net/theparks2/bio/Tbone.gif[/img]

• 2 months later...
We did snuba at Trunk Bay off St. John and absolutely loved it!! The first year we went my husband and I learned to snorkel and our daughter did the Snuba. She had never even snorkeled before this. I can still remember the smile on her face when she returned. Her first words were "You have to try this!!" She told us about all the different fish she saw which we didn't see even though we were snorkeling right above her. So the next year when we returned, all four of our family did Snuba together and had so much fun. We are not strong swimmers and we did not find it difficult to do. You are closer to the fish, the coral and the sand so you see more. It made us want to try scuba diving!! We are going to Hawaii in October and have booked a snuba tour.

My DD and SIL did it in Barbados. They said it was the highlight of the trip. Since then we have done the Helmut Dive and BOB but they still think Snuba is the best! I tried it but felt kinda weird so I snorkeled. The next step is scuba for them I think.

Becky

My sons snubaed in Grand Cayman and then scubaed in Cozumel. They enjoyed the Snuba more than the scuba. They were able to take pictures underwater when they snubaed but not with the scuba since they were beginners (so they were told) They can't wait to snuba again when we are in Cozumel in January.

We snuba'd in Cozumel and wouldn't do it again. The water was not very clear and there was nothing to see where they took us. Also my ears would not clear and trying to go down very far caused pain. If you can clear your ears by holding your nose and blowing you'll probably be fine. I can't do that.

sls

You wear a regular snorkel mask. My husband has a RX one. Don't remember how long we were down. We started from shore and walked in the water. The air tanks were on a life raft and we were connected with hoses.

sls

• 2 weeks later...
I agree that Cozumel is not a great place to snorkel or snuba. The only way we saw any fish was because the tour people threw food in front of us so they could take a picture of us underwater with fish. Try the Eastern Caribbean for snuba and I think you'll enjoy it much more.

I don't know about glasses as my family has contacts and you can wear them with the masks.

at visnuba.com last Christmas. We went over to Trunk Bay on St. John as well and really enjoyed it. The coral is better over there but it takes time to get there and back. They also have a location on Coki Beach which is just a short (approx. 20 min) taxi ride from the ship. Apparently the coral isn't as good there but there are more fish.

Stu

My Wife (reluctantly) and I (eagerly) snubaed at coral world in the Virgin Islands last november, and it was fantastic. You need to be able to clear your ears by holding your nose and blowing, and they will not let you go if you have a head cold or sinus issues, which they announced on the bus en-route to the beach. You walk in and the fish are amazing, the guides super. Highly recommend.

[quote name='seajan']To: Cabin for Four

Did you book your Snuba excursion through the ship? If no, who did you use? Would you recommend them?[/QUOTE]

Seajan,

We booked our excursion through the ship. The "dive" site is only a short walk from the tendering dock, maybe three or four blocks to the left after getting off the tender. I would certainly recommend them for the snuba excursion in Grand Cayman.

Archived