Sea Weed

Krazcruiser

• 1 month later...

Most places on west side are not affected regularly but it can happen depending on storms, winds and waves. It is generally temporary.

East side will have sargassum much of the time during the season and isn’t cleared. 

5 minutes ago, Krazcruiser said:

Thanks, I think I'm going to book something a week prior to visiting 

Do you need to pre-book - or just decide on the day?

Apart from Del Mar which is very small or a driver for the day I don’t think we ever pre- book Cozumel.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Do you need to pre-book - or just decide on the day?

Apart from Del Mar which is very small or a driver for the day I don’t think we ever pre- book Cozumel.

I might visit Nachi Cocom again, the water there is blue unlike Paradise Beach which is kinda green

14 hours ago, Krazcruiser said:

I might visit Nachi Cocom again, the water there is blue unlike Paradise Beach which is kinda green

I love Nachi Cocum too, but it is all the same couple of miles of beach. 

Paradise Beach, Playa Mia, Mr. Sanchos and Nachi Cocum all in a row on the West Side.

Same stretch of sand and coral free water. (just differen Amenities)

So if anything affects one beach, it will affect all of them.

I've been to Nachi 8-9 times now and only once, like a decade ago, had a day with alot of sargassum that affected our day. (wish I could remember what the date was)

It was fine by the pool area, but they had guys shoveling sargassum into wheelbarrows all day long on the beach.

With that huge bloom in the Atlantic this year, I'm pretty sure every Caribbean beach will be affected at some point this year.

You might want to check the port schedule for your day in Cozumel and see how many ships are in port. (or more importantly WHICH ships. One of the RCCL Allure size monstrocities or Mardi Gras size ships from Carnival have 2-3 times the passenegers than the pre-2000's era ships in the fleets.)

Any day with 8 ships or less is a standard to light day. (again the large ships count like two)

You need to book Nachi earlier than a week out on a heavy day, with their per day limits.

If your lucky enough to be in Cozumel on a light day, You'll be fine waiting until a week out to book.

We've been lucky enough to be there on a day with only about 20 people total there all day and been there a few times at capacity. (and its never felt crowded)

Best of luck on your day. (and figuring it out)

Hope you enjoy your time in Cozumel.

We were in Cozumel last week, on the West side, and there was no Sargassum that we could see. Our Maya Chan day was cancelled the day before for the seagrass, so it was nearby, just not at that part of Cozumel.

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We were in Cozumel last week, on the West side, and there was no Sargassum that we could see. Our Maya Chan day was cancelled the day before for the seagrass, so it was nearby, just not at that part of Cozumel.

That would be typical. The difference is Costa Maya (and Maya Chan) is on the mainland like Cancun, Playa, Puerta Morelos and therefore facing the predominant sargassum currents.

Chances are the east coast of Cozumel (Punta Morena, Mezcalitos, Rastas) probably had the same problem. Unfortunately east coast of Cozumel is much more undeveloped and doesn’t have the same procedures in place for clearance like the mainland.

The west coast beaches of Cozumel (main tourist areas) are only affected temporarily,when certain wind patterns occur, and in our experience ( Nachi) they just wait it out and make a half-hearted effort to clear the beach when affected.

Edited by c-leg5