Nassau - Tru Bahamian Food Tour review

travelingtink

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

travelingtink was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I rarely book cruise line excursions as they are overpriced and not usually of interest to me. I like to explore the port and experience what the locals like. I’ve been to Nassau a few times, but not in about 10 years.  When researching for this trip, I found Tru Bahamian Food Tours and it sounded like just what I was looking for, a 3 hour walking tour with local bites and drinks. 

Booking online was easy, they even had an Apple Pay option. There was even an opportunity to identify dietary restrictions. I immediately received a confirmation email with all the necessary details, then a couple of reminder emails as our date approached. We met our guide right outside the port shopping area. The groups are limited to 12 people and we had a full group. We were the only cruise passengers, all other participants were vacationing on the island.  Our guide BrendaLee (Bahama Bre) explained the logistics of the tour, and we were on our way. 

Our first stop was a local restaurant where we we served a plate full of Bahamian treats. This was pretty much a full meal so be prepared. We had conch fritters, stewed chicken, coleslaw, peas and rice, mac and cheese, and plantains. This meal came with a drink called switcha (lemonade) which you can upgrade to the drinks package and have an alcoholic version. We had pre purchased the drinks, but you are given the opportunity to add it during the meal. 

Second stop was Graycliff for a chocolate sample, followed by a quick tour of the grounds where we purchased a couple of house made cigars. We moved on to Chillin, a conch stand where we we served conch sliders and received a tasting of a local sweet red wine. Next up was The Towne Hotel for Bahama Mamas and a visit to Mack, the hotel’s resident parrot. The last restaurant we Athena Cafe where we enjoyed conch chowder and a cocktail (which I don’t remember what it was). We ended the tour at a nearby souvenir shop where we were given a rum cake sample. 

This tour provided plenty of food and drinks (too much for some), and our guide was fantastic, providing history tidbits along the way. The walking was easy, suitable for young children, but there are some small hills, so I’m not sure about those with mobility issues. There were times we were walking down the side of the street due to lack of a sidewalk (but this was rare). The only downside is because of our short time in port, I didn’t have time to shop, but that was no fault of the tour. 

Great advice, glad to see this was enjoyable. I wqs eyeing this for my January 2024 trip to Nassau. This sounds right up my alley. I love trying authentic food from the local area. This sees like a very legit choice. thank you for the review!