LFK - Is Little French Key still a decent excursion?

cctomh

I was doing some reading and it appears that LFK is going though a pretty rough change in management.  I would like to go there as an excursion in a few weeks.  Is LFK still a quality excursion?  Also who would you recommend booking it through?

I don’t know if everyone has the same experience (“everyone” is probably an exaggeration), but our experience last summer soured us on LFK.   As much as we loved the first visit in 2017, it would take a big persuasion to get us back there after the last visit.

It seemed like their employees didn’t care about us.  We also booked the monkey/sloth experience as part of the overall trip.  Our customer problems are below:

1.  The girl checking us in at the dock at Frenchy’s couldn’t bothered to look up from her paperwork when we showed up.

2.  The shuttle driver who took us to sloths told us that it wasn’t a long walk from the sloths back to the dock to take us to LFK when we were finished.  The problems to that solution were (a) my wife was mobility problems, (b) there was no sidewalk on which to walk, so we’d be walking on the street with several tight turns and (c) it was raining.  The employee at the sloth place called LFK to let them know we needed a ride.  A taxi driver took pity on us after about 20 minutes and took us to Frenchy’s at no charge (I tipped him, of course).

3.  Despite our waiter telling us to the contrary when we arrived, you can NOT order from the full menu using their food coupons.  You must order their “island lunch.”  He suddenly became extremely rude when we were ready to leave and that we could not use the coupons.  Since we didn’t come close to using our allotted food and drink coupons, I offered ALL of our unused coupons in exchange for our single order of chicken nuggets and a hamburger. It took about 15 minutes for the waiter to find SOMEONE to agree to the offer, but he sure rolled his eyes.

4.  It seemed like every other independent tour operator was immediately available to take their customers back to the cruise pier from Frenchy’s, but not the LFK employees.   We had to wait about 30 minutes for a LFK employee to take us back to the cruise pier, despite the previously not-to-be-bothered paperwork employee calling someone to take us back.

5.  At the time of our visit, they allegedly didn’t have the ability to take payments by credit card, so it was cash only.  That would have been nice to know beforehand.  

Even writing the above brings back my irritation.