Atlantis Submarine

stephanie76

I have done the Atlantis Submarine in Aruba (2001).

After about a 20 or so minute ride out to the submarine site

you board the submarine.

In Aruba we saw a sunken ship and some coral.

May-be some more.

How deep did we go? I think it was 500 feet.

Was it worth it? For a one time venture yes.

After the first time no matter what site you go to it is all the same.

In Aruba unfortunately by the time we came back from Atlantis

we had no time to explore Aruba.

If this is your first time in the chosen island

I would recommend you do something on the island.

If this is your 2nd or more time than consider it but think of other options too.

I believe the depth is more like 150ft in Aruba. If you have ever been on the submarine ride at Disneyland, it is very similar to that ship, except that you are looking at real ocean and actually submerged instead of a theme park mock-up. I enjoyed it a great deal, but agree that once you have done it they are all pretty much the same.

Here is the site of the operator, with many more details:

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/region.php?id=1

Anyone done the atlantis submarine at any of the ports? I am dying to know if it is worth it. Do they really take you very deep? And is there a lot to see?:) :) :)

I have to agree with nzzgator. ;) We did this in Aruba also, but was our 2nd or 3rd time there. Aruba is very beautiful and should be enjoyed. Although the sub is great fun, it is time consuming. I thought the coolest part was when we started to surface, there were thousands of bubbles in view in our porthole, very cool! :D

Luv's Crusin'

We went on the Atlantis sub in Cozumel in 2001. It was our first visit there, and we had time to do a few other things as well. Mostly, browse the stores in San Miguel and have a nice dinner. It think it cost my wife and I about $150 altogether but I could be wrong.

Here are some pictures.

Ana, the boat that took us there

The Little Sub

My wife wearing red

I noticed that the red wind-breaker my wife was wearing turned black at the greatest depths. Someone told me that red light couldn't reach that depth.

The Interior

The windows are about 2' in diameter. This little girl to my left, about 3 years old, kept slapping the glass. :eek: She was scaring the h311 outta me- I was afraid she'd break it or push it out.

Blue

It seems mostly blue light filters down at greater depths. I believe we reach about 100 feet. I think it was worth it, once. I wouldn't do it again. We didn't see too many pretty fish, but the folks operating the place were very nice and friendly.

We just did the Atlantis sub in Cozumel on our 2/19 Miracle cruise. I went with DS 7 and DD 3. DH opted out.

For reference, the day prior DS & DH snorkled at the reef in Grand Cayman, and DD, DS and DH swam with the stingrays at Stingray City. The kids loved that, and loved the sub.

I'm not much of one for being in the same water as fish, etc. Actually got in the water in Barbados to swim with the turtles, to help DH with the kids, but it didn't last long...LOL...

Anyway, for someone who is not comfortable snorkeling, never mind diving, it was a fascinating view of an underwater world I had never really had a clear perception of before. We went down to 101 feet. I actually thought it was worth every penny.

We saw what, in my opinion, was a lot of fish, coral, reef formations. No ship wrecks, though.

I felt very safe. There was a boat anchored adjacent to the sub (not the boat that transported passengers back and forth) staffed by three. I'm assuming this was so that there would be a boat immediately available in the event of a problem. On the tender over, they even went through an emergency prep session much like they do on airlines.

We booked this excursion independently. So, it was a little less than through the cruise ship. I was very happy with it. HTH.

We did it in St. Thomas a few years ago. First dive was 45 feet, then they went to 90 feet. Saw lots of fish, stingrays, etc. Also saw part of a wreck and a kitchen stove!

It was a lot of fun, for sure. I highly recommend taking the plunge (pardon the pun).

Mongie

We first took the Atlantis sub in Aruba which we really enjoyed. I find it funny though that the only thing I remember is that as we approached the site to meet the sub, it came up nose first straight out of the water. I have always told people to watch for that. However, on our dive in St Thomas the sub just floated to the surface perfectly level...oh, well. We enjoyed both and saw a shark in St Thomas. I thought I read that the sub in Cayman goes to the edge of the big dropoff (there is also another sub there that goes down hundreds of feet, two passengers, and costs hundreds of dollars). Rent the movie "Weekend at Bernies II" for some shots of the sub in St Thomas.

I have a picture of that drop-off. It's all blue coral and stuff and then- NOTHING!! It made me a little bit nervous to go there. The maximum depth isn't that much on those little subs and that drop-off goes pretty deep. I forget all the details but it was a little bit fear-inspiring for me.

We did the sub in Cozumel - we were there right after a storm which had kicked up a millon thimble sized jelly fish - there was no snorkling off the beach that day!!!. The sub went down to 125' (they had us count down the last five) we didn't go to the drop off due to some unusual currents from the storm but we did go to the coral reef and saw lots of fish. Our DD (9 at the time) really enjoyed the divers who came up to the windows. One was playing rock, paper, scissors with her!!! Loved this tour, it's something you do once, just to say you did it!!!!

Archived