LHR to Windsor Castle transportation

linkerbink

My sister and I will be staying at a hotel at LHR and have reservations for a tour of Windsor Castle. What is the best(easiest) way for two mid-70’s ladies to get there and back? I thought I saw somewhere that you can take a taxi for $30-$40 one way. I understand that it is about a 7 or 8 mile drive. Would an airport taxi take us there? Are there taxis readily available in the vicinity of the castle that could return us to the airport? My sister has walking difficulties and we don’t relish the idea of having to take a bus or train that would require walking any distance to or from the castle. Can anyone advise?

Yes, Windsor is only about 8 miles from LHR but it's not in the direction of central London, so public transport is complicated and time-consuming. 

It's my understanding that pre-booking a Windsor-based private transfer is cheaper and probably a more-personal service than pre-booking an airport-based provider or asking the hotel to call one.

And certainly don't hail a "black cab" - they're fine for a short hop but expensive for LHR to Windsor

Here's a response that I gave recently, with details of Windsor-based providers. That list from a Google search, not personal recommendation because I've never needed the service - but I did weed-out national consolidators.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2923008-should-i-get-a-cab-from-heathrow-to-windsor-or-should-i-pre-book-a-transfer-service-suggestions-for-transfer-service/#comment-64994484

One or two of them quoted fares - from LHR it was £30.

That query was for a one-way. 

If you want a degree of flexibility just book one-way and agree with the driver a time & place to collect you for the return, or take their phone number.

A taxi from the rank in Windsor is likely to cost more, but not megabucks more. You can ask the cost before you get in.

Since this isn't cruise-specific, you'll probably get more/better info on TripAdvisor

JB 🙂

Thanks so much for this information. Actually, this is cruise-specific because we will be cruising to Norway from Southampton in May. We are staying at an airport hotel because we booked the Royal Caribbean shuttle from LHR to the ship. I know this may not be the best way to do things, but we are both “older” and we were trying to make things as simple as possible. We have been to London previously and had no need to stay in the city. At any rate,I appreciate your response and I will take a look at the sites you mentioned. 

Edited by linkerbink

11 hours ago, linkerbink said:

Thanks so much for this information. Actually, this is cruise-specific because we will be cruising to Norway from Southampton in May. We are staying at an airport hotel because we booked the Royal Caribbean shuttle from LHR to the ship. I know this may not be the best way to do things, but we are both “older” and we were trying to make things as simple as possible. We have been to London previously and had no need to stay in the city. At any rate,I appreciate your response and I will take a look at the sites you mentioned. 

You mis-understand my post, Linkerbink. 😏

Because LHR to Windsor isn't cruise-specific, there'll be plenty of folk who've done that on land vacations, same as information about what sights to see there.

So its well worth also checking out TripAdvisor.

But TripAdvisor will likely be a waste of time for cruise-specific things like travel options from port to city, for which Cruise Critic is the source for information.

Have a great time

JB 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...