Holland America with a 13 yr old at Thanksgiving?

SoflaSteven

We're thinking of taking a trip on a HAL ship at Thanksgiving and we're worried that our 13 yr old boy might not have company. Is their Club HAL any good for their 12+ group? We're even worried that WE may be to young for that line (51 and 56)!!

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Steven

I'd list the ships we've been on, but I'm heavily medicated and some I mention may just be a figment of my drug induced imagination.....

We're thinking of taking a trip on a HAL ship at Thanksgiving and we're worried that our 13 yr old boy might not have company. Is their Club HAL any good for their 12+ group? We're even worried that WE may be to young for that line (51 and 56)!!

Assuming this is a typical seven or ten-day cruise, you have nothing to worry about.

During a cruise over Thanksgiving break your son should have plenty of others his age to hang out with. The children's program should be running full blast with lots of activities and counselors. Thanksgiving is a popular family cruising time, so you get lots of kids on the boat, and HAL will "staff up" their children's activities to accommodate them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

What a special Thanksgiving you will have to share with your son for all time. He will remember it above all others. I was on a holiday cruise in December, lots of activities, children (fairly well behaved too), and laughing.

I am 52 and had the time of my life, actually my DD and I are doing it again this year from Christmas through NY!

Take your troubles, all the planning, cooking, worries for everyone else, board the ship and leave the worries to HAL you will not be disappointed.

Linda

Steven

I'd list the ships we've been on, but I'm heavily medicated and some I mention may just be a figment of my drug induced imagination.....

No one is too young for HAL. In my mid-40s and had no problem whatsoever with the crowd on my HAL cruise. As for your 13 year-old? Well lines like Carnival are more geared to a wide range of youngsters but I think the answer lies on knowing your son. I was not the typical teen so probably cannot answer the question. Thanksgiving is a family travel time so its likely the best time for him to find others his own age though.

I would love to hear about your imaginary cruises. I am sure I would love to hear all about the ships and the wonderful destinations you've been to.:D

This year will be our third Thanksgiving cruise with HAL. My daughter will be 13 for this cruise. She's not huge into the kids club activities. She picks and chooses. She enjoys hanging out with mom and dad - and we love having her around too! BTW mom and dad are 38 & 48. I agree with previous posters - Thanksgiving cruises have more kids on board - you will all be fine.. It's a great time and you can believe I'll be booking Thanksgiving 2007 when we get back!

Steven didn't say which ship or itinerary they are thinking about, but as others have said there will be many children on board and it all depends on the individual personality of the kids at that age (I doubt I would have set foot in a teen center when I was that age). If it is a 7 day cruise on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Noordam, or Westerdam you can expect many kids. If it is a 10 day cruise on one of the other ships to Mexico or the Caribbean there will likely be fewer, but still more than enough for him to find other that share his interests if he is so inclined.

Archived