Mediterranean Odyssey 2023 - independent excursions permitted or cruise "bubble" still in effect?

YogiShe

We'll be on the Mediterranean Odyssey cruise this summer (Venice > Barcelona), departing Jul 30. I've read several CC posts from the 2022 season that the cruise bubble was still in effect and passengers could only do ship-based excursions in Italy and not travel independently.

Have these restrictions been lifted for 2023 cruises? How would I find out? We're arranging private tours for our port days in Naples and Rome. Obviously I don't want to finalize these arrangements if Viking restricts passengers to ship-based excursions. 

I’ve read many posts and cruise reports here that mention private or independent excursions in Italy. We’re counting on that for our October Med cruise! If you want the definitive answer, call or chat with Viking. 

Edited by CDR2001

1 hour ago, YogiShe said:

We'll be on the Mediterranean Odyssey cruise this summer (Venice > Barcelona), departing Jul 30. I've read several CC posts from the 2022 season that the cruise bubble was still in effect and passengers could only do ship-based excursions in Italy and not travel independently.

Have these restrictions been lifted for 2023 cruises? How would I find out? We're arranging private tours for our port days in Naples and Rome. Obviously I don't want to finalize these arrangements if Viking restricts passengers to ship-based excursions. 

We were just on a Viking cruise to Italy in January. There are no restrictions in place.

• Like 1