I'm back from the Star ?????????

Painter

Just arrived back from my three day cruise on the Pacific Star.

Will give a review but I will have to word it carefully as I want to give an honest but fair review as I promised.

Had a wonderful fun time with my sisters but keep asking myself the question ...

"WHY ON EARTH DID P&O PURCHASE SUCH A RUN DOWN OLD SHIP?"

I predict this ship will cause more problems for P&O then the Sky.

Talk later.

Marleneann.

It was probably cheap and cheerful,slap a coat of white paint covers a lot of faults. After all its only for the 20yo somethings that just want to Party, get wasted and drink to a stupor.Thats the market there after.I have to have a chuckle when I read on the american lines about their "kids" at this age not drinking, some parents let them have a samall drink at dinner!!!! they are not allowed to drink alcohol or book or be in a cabin on own till 21.Imagine this rule on P&O. They would be broke in a week.:rolleyes:

Hi all maybe we all should give the [new] ship a go there are a lot of us out there that have never been on a cruise & if everyone that has been on a few starts running down or bad mouthing these ships that are here there will be a lot less of us going on cruises wich will result in P&O running less cruises at higher prices & then none of us will be able to afford it. So how about in future we just give a cruise report & not bag these ships out completely We are looking forward to our first cruise so dont put me of just yet

thankyou first timer looking for a great time

It was probably cheap and cheerful,slap a coat of white paint covers a lot of faults. After all its only for the 20yo somethings that just want to Party, get wasted and drink to a stupor.Thats the market there after.I have to have a chuckle when I read on the american lines about their "kids" at this age not drinking, some parents let them have a samall drink at dinner!!!! they are not allowed to drink alcohol or book or be in a cabin on own till 21.Imagine this rule on P&O. They would be broke in a week.:rolleyes:

No they wouldn't - becuase there is a market out there for travellers who DON'T want to put up with drunken 20 somethings spoiling their holiday.

It's the same as the big debate about smoking in pubs. Banning smoking in pubs was supposed to destroy their businesses. Instead pubs have found that it's brought out people who previously wouldn't have gone to the pub because of the smoke, etc.

Hi all maybe we all should give the [new] ship a go there are a lot of us out there that have never been on a cruise & if everyone that has been on a few starts running down or bad mouthing these ships that are here there will be a lot less of us going on cruises wich will result in P&O running less cruises at higher prices & then none of us will be able to afford it. So how about in future we just give a cruise report & not bag these ships out completely We are looking forward to our first cruise so dont put me of just yet

thankyou first timer looking for a great time

I can't see the point of having this forum if we cannot give a an honest review of our cruise.

Yes....there are first time cruisers who can then weigh up the pros and cons and be accepting of the conditions that have been reported if they still choose that particular cruise ship.

I think I would have been much more dissapointed with the Pacific Star if I hadn't read the Courier Mail report via this forum.

I prepared myself to the fact (before I boarded)....that this ship was not up to my expectations from the promational advertising put out by P&O.

I thank this forum for that info.

As I said my sisters had a wonderful family fun time and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. We are very easy going people...but if I am asked to give information to benefit future passengers it will be an honest report.

To sum it up...yes it would be suitable for the younger party person.

For the middle aged and retired...this doesn't mean you won't have a great time but I would suggest you try another cruise ship.

Trying to get my review finished but finding it hard to express my opinions without sounding too negitive.

Anyone want answers to specific questions please email me at

marleneann43@iprimus.com.au

Marleneann.

Marleneann,

I for one am looking forward to hearing your honest opinion of your cruise, whether it be positive or negative. After all it was YOUR cruise and YOUR experience, no one elses. Besides, what you think of as a negative thing about the cruise, others may well find to be positive thing.

Everyone's cruise experience is going to be different, depending on a number of factors, and not just limited to the age or quality of the ship or the age of the passengers.

I'm interested to hear why you think Pacific Star is more suited to younger cruisers rather than older cruisers.

Kym

Just arrived back from my three day cruise on the Pacific Star.

Had a wonderful fun time with my sisters but keep asking myself the question ...

"WHY ON EARTH DID P&O PURCHASE SUCH A RUN DOWN OLD SHIP?"

I predict this ship will cause more problems for P&O then the Sky.

Talk later.

Marleneann.

Marleneann, P&O wouldn't have bought it, the Star's previous owner Costa Cruises, is also owned by Carnival PLC, the same company that owns P&O, so it's just a matter of a coat of paint and reposition it.

I don't want to put anyone off cruising,just telling my opinion.So that those that want will know to go without their rose colored glasses and expect luxury plus.Same as I have mentioned many times about giving Noumea a miss.People come back and say the same thing.

I went the first time all dewy eyed,there were no pics to see first hand what it was like.It was not what I imagined it to be,all posh and glamourish. I had a good time,but felt I wanted more. Now after being on these boards for over a year and finding out there is "more" to be had I want to experience it. :D I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts! My main beef is Why can't we have "more" here,instead of travelling for it. I must say it has got better in the past year or so,with some of the visiting ships. The new Dawn at first glance doesn't look too bad. I will be keeping an eye on that one.

As you can see I am going again on Sun,will be more relaxed this time and not full of expectations

Come the next one in Sept on Voyager,I will be the same as I was the first time on Sun full of expectations. Only time will tell whether they turn out to be realised! :D Wait for the reviews!!!!!:rolleyes:

Marleneann, P&O wouldn't have bought it, the Star's previous owner Costa Cruises, is also owned by Carnival PLC, the same company that owns P&O, so it's just a matter of a coat of paint and reposition it.

Thanks Gyyp...I didn't know that Carnival also owned Costa.

Thanks for that info.

Marleneann.

Thanks Gyyp...I didn't know that Carnival also owned Costa.

Thanks for that info.

Marleneann.

Carnival Corporation owns;

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/Sections/InvestorOverview/Brands.aspx

Carnival Cruise Lines

Princess Cruises

Holland America Line

Seabourne Cruise Line

Windstar Cruises

P&O Cruises (UK)

P&O Cruises Australia

Cunard Line

Ocean Village

Swan Hellenic

Costa Cruises

Aida Cruises

I can't see the point of having this forum if we cannot give a an honest review of our cruise.

Yes....there are first time cruisers who can then weigh up the pros and cons and be accepting of the conditions that have been reported if they still choose that particular cruise ship.

I think I would have been much more dissapointed with the Pacific Star if I hadn't read the Courier Mail report via this forum.

I prepared myself to the fact (before I boarded)....that this ship was not up to my expectations from the promational advertising put out by P&O.

I thank this forum for that info.

As I said my sisters had a wonderful family fun time and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. We are very easy going people...but if I am asked to give information to benefit future passengers it will be an honest report.

To sum it up...yes it would be suitable for the younger party person.

For the middle aged and retired...this doesn't mean you won't have a great time but I would suggest you try another cruise ship.

Trying to get my review finished but finding it hard to express my opinions without sounding too negitive.

Anyone want answers to specific questions please email me at

marleneann43@iprimus.com.au

Marleneann.

Marleneann

I can't see anything wrong with your review, you told it how you saw it and that's fair enough for me.

Hi Marleann

I am looking forward to your review as I am now travelling on the Star in less than 3 months. We will be in cabin 7062 (Aloha Deck). can you please let me know what the cabins were like eg where toiletries supplied, did you get any coathangers? Also what were the activites, dining, drink prices?

cheers Rach

Hi Marleann

I am looking forward to your review as I am now travelling on the Star in less than 3 months. We will be in cabin 7062 (Aloha Deck). can you please let me know what the cabins were like eg where toiletries supplied, did you get any coathangers? Also what were the activites, dining, drink prices?

cheers Rach

Aloha Deck is the best. Our cabin 7015 for four was small but OK. The toilet/ shower room had a good supply of towels but only soap was supplied. No shampoo or conditioner.

Coathangers...about four in each of the four cupboards.

Food...great

Entertainment...good to great

Drink prices...a little more expensive then here on land. However keep a lookout for the specials especially in the restautants.

Hope this is what you want.

Not long enough cruise to give you an entertainment rundown.

Marleneann.

is the ship nicer looking than the sun on the inside?

i go on a cruise 2 relax, sunbake and have a good time.. as long as the ship isnt dirty, badly visibly rusty and look anythink like the pacific princess on the inside (pics ive been from the e cruise world website) i'll be happy:)

Marleneann,

I for one am looking forward to hearing your honest opinion of your cruise, whether it be positive or negative. After all it was YOUR cruise and YOUR experience, no one elses. Besides, what you think of as a negative thing about the cruise, others may well find to be positive thing.

Everyone's cruise experience is going to be different, depending on a number of factors, and not just limited to the age or quality of the ship or the age of the passengers.

I'm interested to hear why you think Pacific Star is more suited to younger cruisers rather than older cruisers.

Kym

Well said Kym. I'm not going on the Star but still looking forward to reading evrybodys reviews, positive or negative. Wouldn't life be boring if we all had the same tastes & expectations etc

Karen

Marleneann - We are looking forward to your review as we also sailed on the Sapphire Princess in 2005 and we know it will be hard to sail on the Pacific Star and not compare the 2 Ships? - But we are going to enjoy our cruise on the Pacific Star in September.

We would love to hear the things you found most different between the Sapphire Cruise and the Pacific Star Cruise?

Thanking You

Peter & Cheryl

Marleneann, Good for you to express your opinion on the Star. Look forward to reading your review. For those of you who would like a more up-market cruise ship - try the Pacific Princess.....wonderful!:)

• 3 weeks later...
Marleneann, Good for you to express your opinion on the Star. Look forward to reading your review. For those of you who would like a more up-market cruise ship - try the Pacific Princess.....wonderful!:)

I agree the Pacific Princess is upmarket, great food, attention to detail, fantastic crew, could have stayed in port for all I cared. Had a great cruise

Pacific Princess January and December 2004:p

• 2 weeks later...
I think most areas looked better than the Sun. Quite a similar layout in some ways. I think the showlounge was a bit worn/dated. The buffet on deck 10 is a lot brighter than on the Sun but has the tender boats blocking most of the view.

I have to agree that the public areas looked better than on Sun. And yes, the general layout was the same - apart from the dining room being on the lowest level of the ship - took me a couple of days to remember that I had to go down to the restaurant not up. I think the similarity in layout was why I didn't have as much trouble finding my way around on Star in the begining, because I could refer back to my memory of Sun.

The flow of passengers through the Lido Buffet on Star was much more controlled than on Sun - the difference being less enterances into the area, and a better layout of food - you didn't have to go backwards and forwards to get the food you wanted, you came in one end and went out the other with a full plate of food!

And yes - the tender boats blocking the windows were a bit of a problem - I kept thinking that it had got cloudy until I remembered I was looking at a white tender boat!

Kym

Archived