Black Prince

Robwilk

I plan to visit the Norwegian Fjords aboard the "Black Prince", Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, in June this year.

I would like to hear from anyone that has experienced cruising aboard the "Black Prince" - and especially to the Fjords.

This is my first cruise (and posting) so general comments would also be appreciated.

I have not sailed on the Prince, but i do work for a tour company who charter the ship from Fred Olsen when it is not sailing with themselves, and i have been on the Black Watch. The black prince is a small ship and is a mainly british passenger group. She doesnt have as many of the amenaties as other larger ships or is she as glitzy, but she is famous for the service and food on board.

The passengers tend to be older - average is late 60 to 70, but on my black watch cruise they were still good fun

Arrived home yesterday after 8 nights on the Black Prince - what a fabulous experience!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our holiday started the minute we arrived on board - I just can't wait to go on my next cruise and I would definitely book the Black Prince again - you are waited on hand and foot - nothing is too much trouble and the staff are brilliant. The entertainment is excellent.

There were 2 formal nights - men had to wear suits, collars and ties or bowties, informal nights - men had to wear collar and ties (and they will aks you politely to return to your cabin and put a tie on if you turn up for dinner without one!!! casual nights - open necked shirts were acceptable, 1 western night - you could wear denim and cowboy hats were supplied, 1 British night - you could wear red, white and blue, kilts etc and Union Jacks were supplied.

The food is unbelievably good, the standards of hygiene are excellent and the drinks are reasonably priced. Complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits, cakes and sandwiches are available throughout the day. Breakfast and luch times vary but you are made fully aware of the timetables. If you don't want to get up for breakfast you can order a continental breakfast to be taken in your cabin or just have an early morning cuppa. Snacks are available all day (from 10 am to 11pm) in your cabin and late night supper is served every night. The holiday was basically all inclusive and the only thing you had to pay extra for was drinks at the bar - there is a charge for coffee after 11pm. We also had to pay a couple of times for transfers from the dockside to the cities we visited but the charges were very reasonable.

There are indoor and outdoor swimming pools, hairdresser, fitness centre and ironing room - all on a small scale but perfectly adequate. There are laundry and dry cleaning services (additional charges). Daily quizzes, crosswords, bingo!!! (there is normally a charge of £2.00 per card for the bingo but the cash prizes are worth it - on our last last we played Super Bingo which was £5.00 per card but the prize was £530.00 - we didn't win!!)

Crossing the Bay of Biscay was a bit rough and lots of passengers suffered motion sickness (I was lucky) but there is a doctor and medical centre on board and everyone recovered very quickly. One passenger I spoke to said they normally suffered from motion sickness but were taking a course of pills which prevented them from feeling ill.

A cruise holiday is meant to be slow-paced and relaxing, which it is - but I feel absolutely exhausted because there was so much going on and I didn't want to miss anything - I really need to catch up with some sleep!! The weather wasn't very kind to us for this trip and I normally like it to be hot and sunny but I must admit I did not really miss the sun because there was so much to do.

The majority of passengers were over 60 but they were very good fun and terrific characters, everyone was extremely friendly and the few children on board were very well behaved.

The only thing I was slightly disappointed with was the size of the cabin - it was quite small but once you are unpacked and organised you don't notice it so much. There is a tv, hairdryer, bathroom with shower - everything was spotlessly clean and everynight the cabin stewardess makes up your beds and leaves chocolates on your pillows.

Enjoy your cruise - I'm sure you will want to do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi ireneted,

Very many thanks for your detailed summary of your recent cruise which has been very useful to me. However, you didn't say where you cruised to or the cities you visited. This would be useful for future cruises. Could you update me?:)

Look at "Saga Cruises" in this "Other Cruise Lines" section and you'll see quite a bit of discussion about cruising Polar North and "Norway in a Nutshell." Feel free to use my email address in that thread if you have further questions. I've been sailing since the 50s and that Norwegian 15-day cruise was a highlight of my life.

Ruby

• 2 weeks later...

Have not been on the Black Prince to Scandinavia but a couple of years ago we cruised to the Canaries on The Black Prince.

Food was very good, cabins a little small, no telephones in cabin. No telephones in the cabin became a problem when some crew members were partying in the cabin adjacent to us until 4/5 in the morning(we were on mian deck). The ship was full of very elderly passengers- that comment comes from my mother who was in her late 70's at the time!!!

All told I would not choose the Black Prince again.

Archived