Hal dress code

cindybeach

Calling yyour T/A and/or Holland American Line/Carnival Corp. will probably yield the best results for an adequate answer.

Are you driving up the GSP (were at the last one X 172) from Cape May,NJ/Lewes,DE ferry?:D

I did the 15 day November transatlantic on the Prinsendam. I believe there were four formal nights. Your final documents will say.

The distinction between informal and casual seemed to blur in the second week. Everybody seemed to be more in the informal range, rather than the casual range. Maybe because during a week at sea you have the time and interest and inclination to spend more time on dressing up. And nobody, nobody, was dressed in an improper manner.

However, if you are doing the east-bound direction, your free days will be at the beginning rather than at the end of your cruise. And I believe you even stop here, in Ponta Delgada. susana.

Cindy,

The poster above mentioned that informal and casual tend to have blurred boundaries. This is especially true on transatlantic cruises. My travel knits do double duty on transatlantics. I mix and match my black travel knit long skirts and pants with other tops and also have other colors in travel knits. You can dress them up or down. The spandex-acetate mix is slinky enough for even formal nights and, with a colorful slinky "T" or sweater, crosses to casual or informal very easily.

I'm not comfortable in capris, even dressy ones, but many women wear them and look very nice in them on casual nights. Denim is not suitable for casual, nor are culottes or shorts worn after 6 in the dining room or on deck.

Broomstick skirts with a nice top would do well and there are always the resort casual pant suits.

Hope this helps,

GN

CindyBeach-

Hi, we'll be on the same cruise. I called HAL, they said 3 formal and 4 informal nights, but I read were on HAL even casual nights men should wear a sportcoat.

I hope you're as excited as I am.

Fred

One thing about transatlantics is the probability that the dress code will change . On our 35 day we had one night that the dress changed 3 times. They had to put out a special bulletin just to cover the changes. They are at the discretion of the captain and the HM and are usually due to weather. the year before on our 17 day, we had several changes. The changes are usually dress down due to high seas.

Not many men wear suit jackets on casual nights but it's certainly not wrong to do so. I've seen everything from suits to chinos and sweaters, silk polos, and grunge and ball caps.

Be flexible in your packing and plan for variety and changes.

For daytime at sea, bring a windbreaker and shoes with non slip soles.

Many ports in Europe had cobblestone streets so good walking shoes are a must. ...Don't forget rain gear, especially for northern Europe.

A sweatshirt and some long sleeved tops wouldn't hurt either. HAL sold out of sweatshirts on both our transatlantics.

GN

Archived