What to Take to Hawaii

Leaving in a couple weeks for a 15 day roundtrip on Princess for Hawaii - I was anticipating bringing a 14-35mm, 24-105mm and 70-200mm for my R5.

I shouldn't need my 100-500mm for anything right? Whales will most likely not be there and we're doing a "drive around" in Hilo, "walk around" in Honolulu and snorkeling/beach days at Maui and Kauai (not going to bring the R5s for that).

1 hour ago, bronzey214 said:

Leaving in a couple weeks for a 15 day roundtrip on Princess for Hawaii - I was anticipating bringing a 14-35mm, 24-105mm and 70-200mm for my R5.

I shouldn't need my 100-500mm for anything right? Whales will most likely not be there and we're doing a "drive around" in Hilo, "walk around" in Honolulu and snorkeling/beach days at Maui and Kauai (not going to bring the R5s for that).

We had friends that lived there for several years and have visited many times. Your kit should work out just fine. Just an estimate, but except for a lava boat tour back when Kilauea was erupting, I probably shot 99% of my Hawaii images within the 24-105 range. The Banyan tree in Lahaina will want the wide zoom.

If you get a chance to take the excursion to the top of Mauna Kea out of Hilo or Kona in clear weather, do it!

Hawaii%202002%20-%20Hilo%20035-2160w.webp...unless a volcano is erupting, then go see that. 😉

Lava%20Tour-081-3000w.webp

Dave

• Like 2