Venice to Trieste possible train strike-options

cruisingisfun

We have train tickets booked for our group for the start of cruise but have now learned there is a possible strike that day (Apr.14).  Any ideas for new transportation from Venice to Trieste besides flixbus?  Any idea of the likelihood of the train strike happening or not happening, or when we would find out? Thank you! 

There's always a chance of a strike being cancelled, many are.  However, in this case I wouldn't count on it as this is a national strike, and it's on a Friday.  

I would see if you can change your tickets to an early morning train, or an evening one.  Or simply buy new tickets and throw out the others.  You are entitled to a refund on them but depending on how much they cost, it may or may not be worth the hassle to you to collect on them.

You can continue to check the status of the strike on the transport ministry's web site here:  Scioperi - mit2

Note that the strike runs from 9:00 - 16:59, so any train before 9 or after 5 PM will run.

There are a few trains guaranteed to run even during the strike.   You can see the list here:  Regionale Friuli Venezia Giulia_sito.pdf (trenitalia.com)

Edited by euro cruiser

Wondering if Italiarail trains will be effected by strike as well or if there trains will be running normal schedule?

on Trentalia trains would you suggest buying tixs for early morning or evening trains now with strike happening? Or wait till we arrive in Venice and see what is really going on with strike?

5 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

There is no train company called Italiarail, that is a reseller selling tickets on Trenitalia trains.

Oh thanks for clarifying that for me

thoughts on buying tickets ahead of time for trains after strike? 

As to what to do, you need to consider some questions and decide what's most important to you.

For example, will you be traveling with luggage?  If so, know that the regional trains (which includes most of the trains between Venice and Trieste) have no seat assignments and cannot sell out.  What that translates into is a very, very crowded train, probably standing for the entire trip, and difficulty keeping a close eye on your luggage.

If the strike goes forward, how flexible are you?  Flixbus usually sells out in a normal situation, under strike conditions it's highly unlikely you'd be able to get a ticket at the last minute.  Would you be willing to pay last minute rates for a car service?

If you are going to Trieste for a cruise departing the next day, there's no need to rush there in the morning.  I would look at trains later in the day, after the strike is over, but I would limit my search and pay a bit more money for a train with assigned seats.  On Trenitalia that means IC or Frecce trains.  On Italotreno, which also covers this route, all seats are assigned.  Right now Italotreno has one train departing Venice Mestre at 18:55 and arriving to Trieste at 20:56 for just under 10 euro.  I'd grab that and be happy.

Italy high speed train tickets| Italotreno.it - Official website

Edited by euro cruiser