Currency on board cruises from Southampton

kelseys nan

As I do not want to register a Card with MSC on our cruise from Southampton,I did this once and waited for ever for hold on my Bank account to be released, I would like to put a cash deposit for onboard spend can anyone advise me if I will need pounds or euros.

thanks

Depends, if the ship is homeported in Southampton it will be pounds, if its not it will be euro's.

The Virtuosa for example is due to change over to homeporting in Southampton sometime this month, its currently in Euros but will change to GBP at some point in the next two or three visits to Southampton.

We always put cash on the account.  When is your cruise ? 

Make sure what ever the currency is being used onboard your sailing  that is the currency you deposit otherwise you will have a terrible exchange rate from Euros to Sterling and vice versa . How do I know this ? , because we got stumped last year when we joined the ship , hadn't noticed all the prices advertised for packages etc were still in Sterling,  put our Euros in the machine and got a ridiculous conversion rate . Lesson learned . 

So we are onboard now. Its euros at the minute. they have machines around the ship where you can deposit money and it goes onto your account to spend on board. Found this better then registering a card and having a hold. I did bring plenty of £££ with me and only put some on when know i will be spending money. Any money left on account end of cruise you can withdraw on last night. I like the system tbh. 

• Like 1