Time Change

mfboat

Going on the Glory on 4/15 to the eastern Caribbean. Is land time different than ship time in Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten? Do the islands have daylight savings time? Just need to know so when I rent a car or book a tour I'll be all set. Thanks!

Going on the Glory on 4/15 to the eastern Caribbean. Is land time different than ship time in Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten? Do the islands have daylight savings time? Just need to know so when I rent a car or book a tour I'll be all set. Thanks!
you will go by ship time when you are on land. usually an hour difference between them. just make sure you stay on ship time because you sure dont want to be standing on the pier waving at the boat as it sails away:eek:

Thanks!

I've booked Sunny in St. Thomas, but will only have 1 hour of shopping with him. When we're finished the beach at 4:00, will the stores in town be closed as it is really 5 on the island. We wanted to do a little more shopping.

the previous poster was correct - i just spent all week on the wrong time (2/25 - 3/4/06). stay on ship time even if they tell you to change your watch. I was with Sonny Liston you're in for quite a ride - and you'll be back to the ship on time no problem. I would ask about the shopping time - we shopped for 3 hours first prior to sightseeing.

Thanks!

I've booked Sunny in St. Thomas, but will only have 1 hour of shopping with him. When we're finished the beach at 4:00, will the stores in town be closed as it is really 5 on the island. We wanted to do a little more shopping.

as long as the ship is there you will be sure the stores will be open. the stores have the ships scedules so they are open accordingly

The U.S. Virgin Islands are an hour ahead of U.S. EST and don't recognize DST, so after we "spring forward" an hour, we'll be on the same time.

Greenwich Meantime DST Virgin Island Info

Not really related, but I took the St Thomas tour with Sonny last September on the Glory, but because we were the only ship "brave" enough to sail in through then-Tropical Storm Rita, the shops closed earlier than scheduled. I'm assuming if there is more than one ship in port, this wouldn't happen.

When you are there becasue DST is in effect island time and ship time should be the same becasue all fo the islands are ins the AST time zone (one hoiur ahead of east coast) and do not observe daylight savings time.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. Maybe we'll get to do some extra shopping after the tour since it will only be 4:00 and I can't imagine the storese closing at that time. Oh, I just thought of the fact that now ship and land time are the same, then when we dock at 10:00, we might have more than an hour to shop. How long does it take to get off the ship in St. Thomas? Sunny said he will meet us at 10:00.

Michiganirish,

We too have Sunny booked for a three hour shopping spree before the tour. I was wondering if this is too much? Are there outdoor cafe's so hubby can sit and "relax" while I shop?

Which beach did you go to?

• 3 weeks later...

Westernmom - So srry for the delay in responding - no 3 hours was actually plenty of time. We took our time roaming the shops, stopped in a Church, and met Sonny at the park where we were dropped off. Went to Sapphire beach - it was so beautiful and had a terrific day. Let me know if you have any other questions - I'll respond I promise.

Archived